What chip is used in this widely available generic LNA?

• Electronics
  • Thread starter Swamp Thing
  • Start date
Swamp Thing
Insights Author
Has anyone reverse engineered one of these generic LNA boards that you can buy from scores of online sources these days? What is the device used? I will be using this in some DIY projects so it would be nice to have an "official" datasheet as a baseline reference. For example, what is the P1db? Is it likely to be unconditionally stable under mismatch conditions?

8db9-82c1295d760d.64fa85f03933b74000a5cde459be3940.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Probably a Field Effect Transistor.
There are numbers printed on it. Use a magnifying glass or microscope to read it, then look it up on-line.

I would assume someplace there is documentation that tells you specifically. Probably not the exact board you have but they are all likely doing something similar.

There is plenty of data with the evaluation module advertisements, but no part number.
Either read the text on the chip, or recognise the style of the evaluation PCB.
Maybe the rotated chip, and the text on the PCB = XR-601 is a clue.

Some foreign companies often replicate an evaluation board, designed by a Western manufacturer. A common target is ADI, since they provide Gerber files for their evaluation boards.

Maybe there is a foreign built LNA chip, a clone that does not quite meet the specs, being dumped as a cheap module that cannot be sold in any other way, without a liability.

Swamp Thing said:
For example, what is the P1db?
Sorry, where do you see that?

Swamp Thing said:
Is it likely to be unconditionally stable under mismatch conditions?
Why in the world would you try to use an RF amp under mismatched conditions?

The markings have been erased from the device on this
board.

I have an RF amplifier board of another kind which also doesn't have numbers on the devices, but luckily in that case someone had a unit with the numbers on and posted a video on YouTube with part numbers, schematic etc. I found the video by searching for the item title as posted on Amazon by various vendors. I am hoping to turn up something similar for the board in question.

berkeman said:
Sorry, where do you see that?
P1dB -- one dB compression point. The power level at which the gain drops by 1 dB due to saturation -- an indicator of the max power output it would deliver.

berkeman said:
Why in the world would you try to use an RF amp under mismatched conditions?
Could well happen when I connect an experimental receiving antenna to the input. Or an experimental mixer or something.

Baluncore said:
Maybe the ... XR-601 is a clue.
Kenwood makes an unrelated product called XR-601-1 which dominates the search results. If I search with "-kenwood", still no luck.

Last edited:

1. What is the most common chip used in generic Low Noise Amplifiers (LNAs)?

The most common chip used in widely available generic LNAs is often the Mini-Circuits PSA4-5043+. This chip is favored for its broad frequency range, low noise figure, and high linearity, making it suitable for a variety of RF applications.

2. Are there alternative chips to the Mini-Circuits PSA4-5043+ in generic LNAs?

Yes, alternative chips include the Avago MGA-82563 and the Skyworks SKY67151-396LF. These alternatives also offer good performance in terms of noise figure and gain, and are used based on specific application requirements or cost considerations.

3. What are the key specifications to look at in an LNA chip?

Key specifications include the noise figure (NF), gain, input and output return loss, linearity (measured as OIP3 - Output Third-Order Intercept Point), and the operating frequency range. These parameters determine the overall performance of the LNA in various signal environments.

4. Can the chip in a generic LNA be used for both commercial and amateur radio applications?

Yes, chips like the Mini-Circuits PSA4-5043+ are versatile and can be used in both commercial and amateur radio applications. Their wide frequency range and robust performance make them suitable for diverse uses including satellite communications, cellular base stations, and amateur radio setups.

5. How do I choose the right LNA chip for my application?

Choosing the right LNA chip involves considering your application's specific needs such as frequency range, required gain, acceptable noise figure, and power requirements. It is also important to consider the compatibility of the chip with other components in your circuit and whether the chip's impedance matches your system's requirements.