Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What convervation law is required by the Lorentz Transformations

1. Jul 9, 2005 #1
    Time invariance implies conservation of energy. Space invariance implies momentum convervation. What convervation law does the Lorentz invariance imply?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Angular momentum. Immediate by Noether's theorem for classical fields.

Daniel.

4. Jul 9, 2005 #3

selfAdjoint

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

The Lorentz transformations by definition preserve the four-interval [tex]c^2t^2 - x^2 - y^2 - z^2[/tex].

5. Jul 9, 2005 #4

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Conservation of angular momentum is generated by spatatial rotation invariance. Space rotation invariance is indeed part of the Lorentz group. But I suspect the original poster was interested in the symmetries related to the Lorentz boost, not by the spatial rotation part of the Lorentz group.

I seem to recall that this question was discussed before, but I don't recall the conclusion that we came to.

6. Jul 9, 2005 #5
    I was thinking the same thing but there are many 4-vector invariants in SR. Energy-momentum, space-time. The classical conservation laws have one specific quantity conservered not a variety.

7. Jul 9, 2005 #6

George Jones

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Read the stuff here.

Regards,
    George

8. Jul 9, 2005 #7
    Thinking by analogy, shouldn't it imply conservation of the stress-energy tensor?

9. Jul 9, 2005 #8

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope, stress- energy tensor is linked to space-time translations.

Daniel.

10. Jul 19, 2005 #9
    This should be a straightforward question with an obvious answer - but authors seem to skirt the issue
    spatial displacement symmetry - conservation of momentum
    temporal displacement symmetry - conservation of energy
    isotropic symmetry - conservation of angular momentum

When gauge symmetry is applied to Maxwells's em equations, one consequence is conservation of charge - isn't conservation (invariance) of the spacetime interval also consequent to gauge symmetry?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  11. Nov 1, 2007 #10

arivero

Gold Member

It is a funny answer... the position of the center of mass? Ok, in absence of external forces, the center of mass is a preserved quantity, so it makes sense, or sort of.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?