Exploring Displacement and Average Velocity: Kinematic Equation

In summary: This can be seen in the half parabolic shape of the graph, with displacement on the y-axis and average velocity on the x-axis. Overall, the graph and equation show us the direct relationship between displacement and average velocity and how they are affected by initial velocity and acceleration. In summary, the shape of the graph and the kinematic equation provide insights into the mathematical relationship between displacement and average velocity, demonstrating that velocity increases at a higher rate than displacement after a certain point.
vinnie4
This question is part of a lab report I've been working on, sorry in advance if I didn't follow all guidelines here.
1. Homework Statement
Explain what the shape of the graph tells you about the mathematical relationship between displacement and average velocity. Include the kinematic equation that correctly relates initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration and displacement.

Homework Equations

v^2 = v_o^2 + 2a([tex]\Delta[/tex] x)

3. The Attempt at a Solution
I've already done the graph which is a half parabolic shape with displacement on the y-axis and average velocity on the x-axis (i know the independent variable should be on the x, but my teacher wanted us to graph it this way to see the parabola). I also understand that the velocity increase starts out at a slower rate than the increase in displacement, but after a certain point, the velocity increases at a higher rate than the displacement.

Is that it or am i missing something else?
Also, could someone help me word it in a neater fashion?

Physics news on Phys.org
This shape tells us that the mathematical relationship between displacement and average velocity follows the kinematic equation: v^2 = v_o^2 + 2a(\Delta x). This equation relates initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration and displacement, where v is the final velocity, v_o is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and \Delta x is the displacement. The graph demonstrates that the rate of increase in velocity starts out lower than the rate of increase in displacement, but eventually accelerates until it increases at a higher rate than displacement.

1. What is displacement?

Displacement is the change in position of an object from its initial position to its final position. It is a vector quantity that includes both magnitude and direction.

2. How is displacement different from distance?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final positions. Distance is a scalar quantity, while displacement is a vector quantity.

3. What is average velocity?

Average velocity is the displacement of an object divided by the time it takes to travel that distance. It is a vector quantity that describes both how fast an object is moving and in what direction.

4. How is average velocity calculated?

The formula for average velocity is displacement divided by time, or v = Δx / Δt. This can also be represented graphically as the slope of a position vs time graph.

5. What are the kinematic equations?

The kinematic equations are a set of four equations that relate displacement, velocity, acceleration, and time. They are:
- Δx = v0t + 1/2at2
- v = v0 + at
- v2 = v02 + 2aΔx
- Δx = (v0 + v)t/2
where Δx is displacement, v0 is initial velocity, v is final velocity, a is acceleration, and t is time.