What formula would I use to find the horizontal force?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with physics problems involving calculating forces and velocity using formulas. They ask for advice and mention feeling stuck on the problems.
slyguy
Hey guys,

I am kind of new to this physics thing, and I need some help. Any advice you can give me is more than welcome. :)

1. An 850 kg (1878 lb) dragster, starting from rest, attains a speed of 27.0 m/s (60.5 mph) in 0.59 s.

A. Assume that the driver has a mass of 68 kg. What horizontal force does the seat exert on the driver?

11. A 66 kg swimmer steps off a 10.4 m tower. What is the swimmers velocity hitting the water?

What formual would I need to use to find this out?

If you guys can give any help it would be most appreciated. I know this must be really simple to you guys, but I am stuck on it.

Physics news on Phys.org
F= ma leaps to mind. You are given m and know how to find a.

11. A 66 kg swimmer steps off a 10.4 m tower. What is the swimmers velocity hitting the water?

What formual would I need to use to find this out?
You know the acceleration don't you? What's the relationship between acceleration and speed?

To find the horizontal force, you would use the formula F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass, and a is the acceleration. In this case, the acceleration would be the change in velocity divided by the time, or a=(27 m/s - 0 m/s)/0.59 s = 45.76 m/s^2. Plugging in the mass (68 kg), the horizontal force would be F=(68 kg)(45.76 m/s^2) = 3117.28 N.

To find the swimmer's velocity hitting the water, you would use the formula v^2 = u^2 + 2as, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity (in this case 0 m/s since the swimmer is starting from rest), a is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), and s is the distance (10.4 m). Solving for v, we get v=√(2(9.8 m/s^2)(10.4 m)) = 14.5 m/s.

I hope this helps! Remember, physics can be challenging at first, but with practice, it will become easier. Don't be afraid to ask for help when needed. Good luck!

1. What is the formula for finding horizontal force?

The formula for finding horizontal force is Force = Mass x Acceleration. This formula is commonly known as Newton's Second Law of Motion.

2. How do I calculate horizontal force?

To calculate horizontal force, you will need to know the mass of the object and its acceleration. You can then use the formula Force = Mass x Acceleration to find the horizontal force.

3. Can I use the same formula for finding vertical force to find horizontal force?

No, the formula for finding horizontal force is different from the formula for finding vertical force. For horizontal force, you will use the formula Force = Mass x Acceleration, while for vertical force, you will use the formula Force = Mass x Gravity.

4. What is the unit of measurement for horizontal force?

The unit of measurement for horizontal force is newtons (N). This is the same unit used for all types of forces.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the calculation of horizontal force?

Yes, the calculation of horizontal force can be affected by factors such as friction, air resistance, and external forces acting on the object. These factors should be taken into account when calculating horizontal force in real-life situations.