What happens to Earth's charge when you remove a volume of soil?

In summary, the question asks how much charge must be deposited on the surface of Earth in order for an arc to be established in the air. Using Coulomb's Law and the dielectric strength of air, the charge can be calculated. The second part of the problem asks for the volume of soil that would be needed to produce this charge if it was removed. This can be solved using the formula for density, but the charge must also be taken into consideration.
satchmo05

Homework Statement

If Earth is considered to be metal sphere (radius = 6371[km]), how much charge Q must be deposited on its surface in order for an arc to be established in the air? If surface was charged to this value by removing all electrons from a volume of soil, how large would this volume be? Assume electron density of soil = 7e23[cm-3]

Homework Equations

Coulomb's Law is the only thing that I can imagine working at the moment.
E = (1/(4∏єo)*(q/r2)*ar

The Attempt at a Solution

If I plug in what I know in this equation, I still have the unknown electric field intensity vector and an unknown charge, which is what I'm solving for in the first part of this problem. I do not know how to implement any equation to take into account the "arc established in the air."

If someone could get me going in the right direction, perhaps the correct formula if Coulomb's Law does not apply here. Please let me know. Thanks to all help on this post!

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, so I think I got a bit farther on this question. What I didn't understand at the beginning was what do I do to create the "arc" to be established. My professor informed me that this arc/lightning is due to dielectric breakdown between the soil and the air. The dielectric strength of air is [3MV/m], and I can use Gauss' Law to solve for a spherical symmetrically charged distribution to solve for Q.

So I know Q from the spherical Gauss formula. The problem I am having now deals with the second part of this problem, where I am to find the volume of the dirt if the charge that was found in the last part was removed. The obvious answer here would be to solve for volume in the Density (D) = mass of electron (m) / volume (V). But the charge has to play a part in this answer, but I do not know how.

I would appreciate any help in regards to my problem. Thanks! Best.

1. What is Earth's charge?

Earth's charge refers to the overall electrical charge of the Earth's surface. This charge is typically negative, due to the accumulation of electrons on the surface from the planet's interaction with the solar wind and cosmic rays.

2. How does soil affect Earth's charge?

Soil can affect Earth's charge in a few ways. First, the composition and moisture content of soil can impact its electrical conductivity, which can in turn affect the distribution of charge on the Earth's surface. Additionally, soil can act as a capacitor, storing and releasing charged particles from the Earth's surface.

3. What happens to Earth's charge when you remove a volume of soil?

When a volume of soil is removed, there may be a temporary change in the distribution of charge on the Earth's surface. The removal of soil can also impact the soil's electrical conductivity and the Earth's capacitance, potentially affecting the overall charge of the planet.

4. Can the removal of soil impact the Earth's electrical field?

Yes, the removal of soil can potentially impact the Earth's electrical field, as the composition and distribution of charge on the Earth's surface can be altered. However, the overall impact is likely to be small and temporary.

5. Is the removal of soil significant enough to affect global weather patterns?

No, the removal of soil is not significant enough to affect global weather patterns. While it may have a small local impact on the Earth's charge and electrical field, it is not significant enough to impact the Earth's climate on a global scale.