What is an Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient?

In summary, the user is trying to use an air compressor calculator but is unsure of how to calculate the adiabatic expansion coefficient. Another user suggests using the ratio of specific heats for air, which is 1.4. However, the original user realizes this may not be accurate due to the rise in temperature of the compressed gas. They discuss other possible factors and mention a Wikipedia article that uses \gamma as the coefficient.
Natla
Hi,

Can anyone tell me what this means?

I'm trying to find the adiabatic expansion coefficient in order to use this air compressor calculator.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/horsepower-compressed-air-d_1363.html

These are the variables I have at the moment...

Number of stages- 1

absolute initial pressure (psi)- 14.5

volume of compressed air at atmospheric pressure (cfm)- 20

absolute final pressure (psi)- 100.

So what is this adiabatic expansion coefficient and how can I calculate for it?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not absolutely sure, but it looks like they're using the ratio of specific heats. Actually, it's the exponent in the polytropic equation, but for a perfectly isentropic process, the exponent becomes the ratio of specific heats. For air, use 1.4

Hi,

Thanks so much for your help.

On second thought. Perhaps 1.41 is not correct. Becuse then the calculation just doesn't seem correct, it doesn't take not nearly enough horsepower.

I don't think that this calculator considers the rise in temperature of the compressed gas. I mean I made it calculate for 7cfm at 14.5 psi to compress to 1,450 psi. Thats a compression in a single stage to a factor of 100. So, the rise in temperature for this compressed gas would be about 1,500 degress celcius.

This would bring the actual final pressure to about 14,500 psi. And it's trying to say that the compressor would only be rated at 4.29 HP. That isn't right.

So what else could it be?

Thanks.

1. What is an Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient?

An Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient is a measure of the change in volume of a gas or fluid as it expands without any exchange of heat with its surroundings. It is a property that describes how a substance responds to changes in pressure and temperature when expanding or contracting.

2. How is an Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient calculated?

The Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient is calculated by taking the ratio of the change in volume to the change in temperature of a substance during an adiabatic process. This can be expressed as: δ = (1/V)(∏V/∏T), where δ is the Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient, V is the volume, and T is the temperature.

3. What is the difference between an Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient and a Thermal Expansion Coefficient?

An Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient describes how a substance responds to changes in pressure and temperature without any exchange of heat, while a Thermal Expansion Coefficient describes how a substance responds to changes in temperature with no change in pressure. Adiabatic Expansion Coefficients are typically larger than Thermal Expansion Coefficients.

4. Why is the Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient important?

The Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient is important because it helps us understand how gases and fluids behave when they are expanding or contracting without any exchange of heat. This is relevant in many scientific and engineering applications, such as in thermodynamics, fluid dynamics, and climate science.

5. How does the Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient affect the behavior of a gas or fluid?

The Adiabatic Expansion Coefficient affects the behavior of a gas or fluid by determining how much the substance will expand or contract in response to changes in pressure and temperature. A higher coefficient means the substance will expand or contract more in response to the same change in pressure or temperature, while a lower coefficient means the substance will be less affected by these changes.