What is best software used to design electronic circuits?

In summary, OrCAD is a circuit design suite which has Capture/Capture CIS as schematic editor, Layout as PCB Layout and PSpice/PSpice A/D as SPICE simulator. It also comes as free demo/ Lite / student edition where simulation capability is limited to 10 transistor. The disadvantage of using OrCAD is you won't find SPICE model for all devices in the package. You have to download datasheet and make your own model. PSpice is free, but LTSpice is easier to use.
New_Gaber
Hello everybody,

Please i need a reliable software to use in electronic circuit design, and to check the circuit to be working before manufacturing,i mean not to make it, and then find that it doesn't work, so software to design and another to do analysis of the circuit, or one software do both, anyone can help me with that?.

Thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
there's a number of simulation programs out there ... eg multisim

do some google searching on simulation packages.
whatever you end up using... actual prototyping will be the final test as you will find that sim software doesn't take into account the way things work in the real world

Dave

New_Gaber said:
Hello everybody,

Please i need a reliable software to use in electronic circuit design, and to check the circuit to be working before manufacturing,i mean not to make it, and then find that it doesn't work, so software to design and another to do analysis of the circuit, or one software do both, anyone can help me with that?.

Thanks in advance.

Here at work, we use OrCAD CIS to do the schematics, and we use MicroCAP to do the SPICE simulations of the analog circuitry. We use Xilinx tools for our digital work for the most part. I believe that OrCAD also can link up with PSPICE, if you want a more automatic way to do your mixed-signal simulations.

http://www.cadence.com/products/orcad/pages/default.aspx

I really liked Altium for schematic capture, spice simulation, and board layout. It also has good parts/documentation management features and let's you model your board+components in 3D to visually check for interferences.

The last software I had to use was Zuken Cadstar, and I really hated it in every category compared to Altium. It is clumsy, buggy, ugly, confusing, awkward, and takes a while to get work done.

I use LTSpice for simulation. I have been using it quite a bit lately for designing music electronics, so far so good. In fact, I design on LTSpice before I even breadboard the circuit because I design the waveform and it works.

http://www.linear.com/designtools/software/

It's free!

berkeman said:
Here at work, we use OrCAD CIS to do the schematics, and we use MicroCAP to do the SPICE simulations of the analog circuitry. We use Xilinx tools for our digital work for the most part. I believe that OrCAD also can link up with PSPICE, if you want a more automatic way to do your mixed-signal simulations.

http://www.cadence.com/products/orcad/pages/default.aspx

OrCAD is a circuit design suite which has Capture/Capture CIS as schematic editor, Layout as PCB Layout and PSpice/PSpice A/D as SPICE simulator. The newest version includes many more in the package. The advantage of using OrCAD is its accuracy and convergence. They have improvised the simulation algorithm a lot for that. It also supports various device and macromodel and supports upto BSIMv3.1 (for those unaware it is MOSFET model by Berkeley). It also comes as free demo/ Lite / student edition where simulation capability is limited to 10 transistor. The disadvantage of using OrCAD is you won't find SPICE model for all devices in the package. You have to download datasheet and make your own model.

I don't know about other simulator, but I do know about some down point about LTspice. I once ran a simulation which had convergence problems and all other spice simulator gave me errors about time step. LTspice did not stop and warn me and just gave me erroneous result.

i would recommend http://www.cadsoftusa.com/.
It is the best software for circuit board design i think.
It includes a schematic editor, autorouter and a layout editor.
For more info just check the homepage.
greetings

About 15 years ago I used the full Microsim PSpice package and liked it very much. At the time I believe it cost about $5000. Now I use the free student version but it is severely limited in the number of components that can be used. When I have a small circuit I often use PSpice but if the circuit is larger than what the free PSpice can handle, I use LTSpice. LTSpice is not limited in the number of components and is also free, but for me, it's not as easy to use as PSpice.

Related to What is best software used to design electronic circuits?

1. What are the key features to look for in a software for designing electronic circuits?

Some key features to look for in a software for designing electronic circuits include a user-friendly interface, a wide range of component libraries, simulation capabilities, ability to export and share designs, and compatibility with popular operating systems and devices.

2. Is it better to use a free software or invest in a paid one for designing electronic circuits?

This ultimately depends on your specific needs and preferences. While there are some reliable free software options available, paid software often offers more advanced features and technical support. Consider your budget and the complexity of your projects when making this decision.

3. Which software is best for beginners in electronic circuit design?

For beginners, it is important to choose a software with a user-friendly interface and comprehensive tutorials or guides. Some popular options for beginners include Tinkercad, Fritzing, and EasyEDA.

4. Can I use the same software for both analog and digital circuit design?

Yes, there are many software programs that have capabilities for both analog and digital circuit design. However, it is important to check the specific features and compatibility of the software before making a decision.

5. How important is it for the software to have simulation capabilities?

Simulation capabilities are crucial for accurately testing and analyzing electronic circuit designs before physical implementation. This can save time and resources in the long run, making it an important feature to consider when choosing a software for electronic circuit design.