Time Slowing Rate & Gravity: A Derivation

In summary: L_t = distance to the center of the gravitating body at time t,r = distance from the center of the gravitating body to the observer. The rate at which time slows as gravity increases near a massive object such as a sun or even a black hole is given by: rate = - GMm/r
ABunyip
I want to consider the rate at which time slows as gravity increases near a massive object such as a sun or even a black hole. Obviously there is a distance component here but I am after a generalisation that simply shows the relationship between time and gravity (ought to be possible).

Surely someone has done this derivation - Hawking, Susskind, Cox? Why can't I find it anywhere?

:confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
ABunyip said:
I want to consider the rate at which time slows as gravity increases near a massive object such as a sun or even a black hole. Obviously there is a distance component here but I am after a generalisation that simply shows the relationship between time and gravity (ought to be possible).

Surely someone has done this derivation - Hawking, Susskind, Cox? Why can't I find it anywhere?

Time doesn't slow in any physical sense. However, coordinate time slows relative to proper time. The details depend on the coordinate system you choose - for instance Schwarzschild, or isotropic coordinates.

If you're not familiar with the distinction between coordinate time and proper time, try looking up the later on wiki. Coordinate time is simple in principle , it's just an assignment of a number that gives the "time coordinate" of every event. The important part to realize about coordinate time is that it isn't anything that a physical clock measures, it's just a convention as to how to assign the time coordinate to specify events.

Coordinate time implies a synchronzation convetion (all clocks with the same coordinate time are synchronized). Proper time is measured with a single clock present at both events and doesn't need or imply any synchronization convention.

The difference in clock rate between coordinate time and proper time is due to the curvature of space-time. It is rather similar how degrees of longitude (coordinate changes) correspond to smaller distances (physical distances which can be measured) as one approaches the poles on the curved surface of the Earth. The important point is that the coordinate time is a convention, while the time that clocks actually keep (proper time) has a direct physical interpretation

ABunyip said:
the rate at which time slows as gravity increases near a massive object

Can you describe an actual experiment that would measure this "rate at which time slows"? Giving a concrete example would help.

ABunyip said:
I'm interested in a similar expression for the time differential expressed as a simple function of gravity as the independent variable.

How do you quantify "gravity" as a single independent variable? What does the variable measure? The term "gravity" does not have a single unambiguous meaning in GR.

ABunyip said:
So why not?

It has no meaning because "gravity" cannot be fully characterised by a single scalar in GR(*). There's no well-defined g in the sense you're using it.

(*) In more than two dimensions.

Last edited:
ABunyip said:
Assuming then that:

g(h) ≈ √(1/h)​

Is ##h## supposed to be height here? If so, why do you think "gravity" is the square root of the reciprocal of the height? What is this supposed to mean, physically? It doesn't correspond to anything with physical meaning that I'm aware of.

ABunyip said:
An example is an object falling into our sun. What is the time function for the slowing of time experienced by the object (relative to the time at its initial position) due to the progressive increase in gravity ?

Time experienced by an object does not slow in any subjective sense. Some sort of external time reference is needed to compare time rates, such as an observer using a suitable coordinate system to describe the whole region.

In a simple situation involving gravitational sources which are at rest relative to the coordinate system, the time rate only depends on the gravitational potential, not the field (or acceleration).

In the weak field (semi-Newtonian) approximation, the relative rate at which a standard clock runs at the location of an object in Newtonian gravitational potential ##\Phi## (equal to the sum of ##-Gm/r## for all relevant sources) compared with the rate at a distant point is approximately ##(1 + \Phi/c^2)##. For stronger fields the solution in GR for a single central mass is that given by xox.

If the object is moving, then there is an additional time dilation effect from Special Relativity due to the speed, giving another factor of ##\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}##. These factors can be multiplied together to give the total effect.

ABunyip said:

Well, in GR, we have
[tex]a = - m c^2 L_t^2 / (r^2 z)[/tex]
where L_t is the tangent coordinate length contraction, z is the local time dilation, m is r_s / 2, and a is the local acceleration of gravity, whereas in Schwarzschild L_t = 1 and z = sqrt(1 - 2 m / r), so
[tex]z^2 = 1 - 2 m / r[/tex]
[tex]2 m / r = 1 - z^2[/tex]
[tex]r = 2 m / (1 - z^2)[/tex]
which gives us
[tex]a = - m c^2 / ((2 m / (1 - z^2))^2 z)[/tex]
[tex]a = - c^2 (1 - z^2)^2 / (4 m z)[/tex]

Since a and z are invariant for a particular shell and m and c are constant, these values will remain the same regardless of the coordinate system used, so the equation in this form should be coordinate system independent and it doesn't matter that we applied Schwarzschild coordinates originally.

Likes 1 person
If you want da / dz, then the derivative of that works out to
[tex]da / dz = c^2 (1 - z^2) (1 + 3 z^2) / (4 m z^2)[/tex]

PeterDonis said:
Is ##h## supposed to be height here? If so, why do you think "gravity" is the square root of the reciprocal of the height? What is this supposed to mean, physically? It doesn't correspond to anything with physical meaning that I'm aware of.

Sorry. It should have read: g(h) ≈ 1/h2 :eek:

The consequence of supposing I can do anything useful at 11pm after a very long day. :redface:

This is the "intensity" of the gravitational "radiation" over distance h.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the relationship between time slowing rate and gravity?

The relationship between time slowing rate and gravity is known as time dilation. According to Einstein's theory of relativity, time slows down in the presence of a strong gravitational field. This means that time moves slower for an observer in a region with higher gravity compared to one in a region with lower gravity.

2. How does acceleration affect time slowing rate and gravity?

Acceleration also plays a role in time dilation. An object that is accelerating, such as a spaceship traveling at high speeds, will also experience time dilation. This is due to the fact that acceleration and gravity are equivalent according to the principle of equivalence in general relativity.

3. Is the time slowing rate and gravity the same for all objects?

No, the time slowing rate and gravity will vary depending on the mass and velocity of the object. Objects with higher mass or traveling at higher velocities will experience a greater time slowing rate and gravity compared to objects with lower mass or traveling at slower velocities.

4. Can time slowing rate and gravity be observed in everyday life?

Yes, time dilation has been observed and measured in various experiments, such as with atomic clocks on airplanes or satellites. The effects of time dilation may be small in everyday life, but they become more significant at extremely high speeds or in strong gravitational fields, such as near black holes.

5. Are there any practical applications of understanding time slowing rate and gravity?

Understanding time dilation and its relationship to gravity is crucial for technologies such as GPS, which rely on precise time measurements. Without taking into account the effects of time dilation, GPS systems would not be able to accurately determine location. Additionally, this understanding helps us to better understand the behavior of the universe and the effects of gravity on the passage of time.