What is the -1st law of thermodynamics?

In summary, the -1st law of thermodynamics is a principle that states energy cannot be created or destroyed, but can only be transferred or converted from one form to another. It applies to everyday life in various ways, such as the conversion of food into energy in our bodies and the conversion of solar energy into heat and light. An example of this law in action is a car engine, where energy from fuel is converted into motion to power the car. The -1st law is closely related to the 2nd law of thermodynamics, which states that energy tends to disperse and lead to a decrease in usable energy over time. This has important implications for the study of energy, as it is a fundamental principle that must be considered
Abdul.119
The so called -1st (Minus First) law of thermodynamics, I believe states that information cannot be destroyed, or something along those lines. Does anyone know where I can read more about it? I think I've heard Dr. Leonard Susskind talk about it but it's been hard to find the video or any other material about it.

Science news on Phys.org
Here's Susskind's lecture on statistical mechanics where he talks of the conservation of information:

Likes Abdul.119

1. What is the -1st law of thermodynamics?

The -1st law of thermodynamics, also known as the law of conservation of energy, states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or transformed from one form to another.

2. How is the -1st law of thermodynamics different from the 1st law?

The -1st law of thermodynamics is essentially the same as the 1st law, but it takes into account systems that involve negative work or energy transfer. This is why it is sometimes referred to as the -1st law.

3. What are some real-world examples of the -1st law of thermodynamics?

One example is a car engine, where the chemical energy from gasoline is converted into mechanical energy to power the car. Another example is a power plant, where the energy from burning coal is transformed into electricity.

4. How does the -1st law of thermodynamics relate to the concept of entropy?

The -1st law of thermodynamics does not directly relate to entropy, but it does help explain the concept. Entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness in a system, and the -1st law states that energy will always flow from areas of high concentration to areas of low concentration, increasing the overall entropy of the system.

5. What are the implications of the -1st law of thermodynamics for the environment?

The -1st law of thermodynamics has important implications for the environment, as it reminds us that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed. This means that any energy used by humans ultimately comes from the environment, and the waste products and byproducts of energy use must also be dealt with in an environmentally responsible way.