What is the altitude of the plane?

In summary, the jet fighter flew overhead at a speed of Mach 1.29 and created a sonic boom that was heard by the person on the ground 11.9 seconds later. The jet was traveling at a speed of 442.47 m/s and had an altitude of 5265.393 m when the boom was heard.
jrzygrl

Homework Statement

A jet fighter in level flight passes directly overhead at a speed corresponding to Mach number 1.29. The sonic boom is heard by you on the ground 11.9 s later. What is the altitude of the plane? Assume (unrealistically) the speed of sound does not change with altitude.

Homework Equations

Mach = vsource / vsound

The Attempt at a Solution

M = vsource / vsound
1.29 = vsource / 343
vsource = 442.47 m/s

d = vt
d = (442.47 m/s)(11.9 s)
d = 5265.393m = 5.265 km

the answer above was wrong, any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Ok, well, to start, are you sure that 343m/s is the correct number? Because it varies depending on temperature, humidity and many other factors. It would probably be helpful if it was one of the givens.

And why would you put the speed of the jet into D=VT? You put T as the time it took the SOUND to reach you from the point it was exerted(which we will call point A), so you should probably put V as the speed of sound. This will tell you how far away Point A is, which will tell you how high up the plane was.

Last edited:
… one step at a time …

jrzygrl said:
d = vt
d = (442.47 m/s)(11.9 s)
d = 5265.393m = 5.265 km

Hi jrzygrl! :smile:

No no no …

All you've calculated is the horizontal distance traveled by sound in 11.9s.

How does that give you its height?

Think … do it one step at a time … can you hear the plane as it approaches? can you hear it when it's overhead (position O, say)? Where is it when you can first hear it (position F, say)? How long does the plane take to get from O to F? How long does the sound take to get from F to J (that's you)?

Then draw the triangle OFJ … :smile:

Draw a right triangle with you at one vertex, the plane at 11.9sec later at another and the place where the plane was when it was directly overhead at the right angle. If you just heard the boom then the hypotenuse is the shock wave. The horizontal leg is the velocity of the plane times 11.9sec, right? You want to solve for the vertical leg. To solve it by trig you need to know one more thing about the triangle. Can you use the given information to find the angle between the shock wave and the horizontal?

Last edited:
Why would you do that? D=VT works just fine for this situation.

… one step at a time …

Dick said:
The horizontal leg is the velocity of the plane time 11.9sec, right?

Wrong! Do it step by step … :smile:

tiny-tim said:
Wrong! Do it step by step … :smile:

It is so. :) I defined the triangle that way.

KalvinDeathX said:
Why would you do that? D=VT works just fine for this situation.

If you are saying that the distance from you to the plane when you hear the boom is V_sound*11.9sec, you are quite wrong. The plane is traveling FASTER than sound. It's a shock wave.

No, I'm saying the distance from you to the point directly above you at the height where the plane passed. I'm not saying I'm right though.
If a sonicboom works this way, then I am probably wrong -> upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b3/Sonic_boom.svg
I just assumed the sound might travel straight down, but now I think that it comes out in a cone, which would make trig necessary.

Last edited:
KalvinDeathX said:
No, I'm saying the distance from you to the point directly above you at the height where the plane passed.

Also untrue. You hear the sound when the shock front passes. The point on the shock front that hits you actually originated from the plane before it passed overhead. There's a picture at http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/Class/sound/u11l3b.html .

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks a lot guys i found the answer!

1. What is the altitude of the plane?

The altitude of a plane is its height above sea level. It is typically measured in feet or meters.

2. How is the altitude of a plane determined?

The altitude of a plane is determined by using instruments such as an altimeter, which measures the air pressure and converts it to an altitude reading.

3. Why is knowing the altitude of a plane important?

Knowing the altitude of a plane is important for several reasons. It allows pilots to maintain a safe distance from other aircraft and avoid collisions. It also helps in navigating the plane and determining the most efficient route.

4. Can the altitude of a plane change during a flight?

Yes, the altitude of a plane can change during a flight. Pilots may adjust the altitude to avoid turbulence or to optimize fuel efficiency. In addition, changes in air pressure can also affect the altitude of a plane.

5. How does the altitude of a plane affect passengers?

The altitude of a plane can affect passengers in various ways. As the plane ascends to higher altitudes, the air pressure and oxygen levels decrease, which can cause discomfort or altitude sickness for some individuals. The cabin is pressurized to help alleviate these effects, but it may still be noticeable to some passengers.