What is the Amplitude and Phase Angle of Resultant Waves on the Same String?

In summary, the problem involves two waves traveling along the same string with different amplitudes and phase angles. To determine the amplitude and phase angle of the resultant wave, the horizontal and vertical components need to be calculated using trigonometric equations. For part A, the amplitude is found to be 12.98mm, but further calculations are needed to determine the correct answer. For part B, the phase angle can be found using the tangent inverse function. For part C, the phase angle that maximizes the amplitude of the new resultant wave can be found using the equations.
ee1215

Homework Statement

These two waves travel along the same string:
y1(x,t)=7.00mm*sin(2pi x - 428pi t +0.38pi)
y2(x,t)=6.00mm*sin(2pi x - 428pi t + 0.93pi)
A) amplitude in mm
B) phase angle(relative to wave 1) of resultant wave
C) if third wave of amplitude 7.40mm is also to be sent along the string in same direction as first two, what should be its phase angle in order to maximize the amplitude of the new resultant wave?

Homework Equations

Amplitude would then be sqrt[(veritcal)^2+(horizontal)^2]
Phase angle = tan^-1 (vert/horiz)

The Attempt at a Solution

Need to find horizontal and vertical:
7.00cos(0.38pi)+6.00cos(0.93pi) - horizontal
7.00sin(0.38pi)+6.00sin(0.93pi) - vertical

For horizontal I got 12.98mm and verical 0.452mm but when using the equations I get the incorrect answer so I am doing something wrong with calculating horizontal and vertical.

Physics news on Phys.org
For part c, I would just need to use the equations and find the phase angle that maximizes the amplitude but I am stuck at part A and B. Thanks for any help!

What are "waves on the same string"?

Waves on the same string refer to the phenomenon of multiple waves traveling along the same medium, such as a string or rope. This can occur when two or more waves are superimposed on each other.

How do waves on the same string interact?

When two waves travel along the same string, they can either add together or cancel each other out, depending on their amplitudes and phases. This is known as interference and can result in a variety of patterns and behaviors.

What factors affect the behavior of waves on the same string?

The behavior of waves on the same string can be affected by factors such as the tension of the string, the frequency and amplitude of the waves, and the distance between the waves.

What is the difference between constructive and destructive interference?

Constructive interference occurs when two waves on the same string are in phase and their amplitudes add together, resulting in a larger amplitude. Destructive interference occurs when the waves are out of phase and their amplitudes cancel each other out, resulting in a smaller or zero amplitude.

How are standing waves formed on the same string?

Standing waves, also known as stationary waves, are formed when two waves with the same frequency and amplitude travel in opposite directions on the same string. This results in specific points on the string that appear to be standing still, while other points continue to oscillate.