What is the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in different orbit states?

In summary, the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in a 4p state is equal to 4 h-bar and in a 5f state is equal to sqrt(20) h-bar. The orbital quantum number 'l' is labeled by s,p,d,f and is used to solve for the angular momentum, where n=4 for the 4p state and n=5 for the 5f state.
Zywo

Homework Statement

What is the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in (a) a 4p state and (b) a 5f state? Give your answers as a multiple of h-bar aka (h/2*pi)

Homework Equations

Radius of nth orbit = 5.29*10-11 * n^2
Angular Momentum = mvr
V of nth orbit = sqrt ( e^2 / (4*pi*epsilon_0*m*r) )

The Attempt at a Solution

For 4p orbit i plugged in 4 to the equations and got angular momentum is equal to 4 h-bar,
not right however...
Thanks,
David

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved my own problem, if anyone has this same issue the answer is more simple than i thought. L = h-bar*sqrt(l(l+1)) where l is the orbital quantum number

I tried plugging in 4 for the orbital quantum number and got it to be sqrt(20)*h-bar, but this was incorrect. Did I plug in the wrong number for the orbital?

Thanks,
Spencer

In the 4p state, n=4 and l=1. Where 'l' comes from the p in 4p. Remember the quantum number 'l' is labeled by s,p,d,f... for l=0,1,2,3,..

You don't use the 'n' when solving for the angular momentum.

Ok, you I forgot how to find l. Now it works. Thanks for the response

Related to What is the angular momentum of a hydrogen atom in different orbit states?

1. What is Angular Momentum of Electron?

The Angular Momentum of Electron is a physical quantity that describes the rotational motion of an electron around an atom's nucleus. It is also known as orbital angular momentum or Bohr magneton.

2. How is Angular Momentum of Electron calculated?

The Angular Momentum of Electron is calculated using the equation L = mvr, where L is the angular momentum, m is the mass of the electron, v is the velocity of the electron, and r is the distance between the electron and the nucleus.

3. What is the significance of Angular Momentum of Electron in an atom?

The Angular Momentum of Electron plays a crucial role in determining the energy levels and stability of an atom. It also helps in understanding the electron's behavior in an atom and its interactions with other particles.

4. How does the Angular Momentum of Electron change in different energy levels?

The Angular Momentum of Electron increases as the energy level of the electron increases. This is because higher energy levels correspond to higher velocities and greater distances from the nucleus, resulting in a larger value for the angular momentum.

5. Can the Angular Momentum of Electron have a negative value?

Yes, the Angular Momentum of Electron can have a negative value. This indicates that the electron's motion around the nucleus is in the opposite direction of its spin. However, the absolute value of the angular momentum remains the same regardless of its direction.