What is the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?

• Thread starter ilkjester
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary, the conversation discusses the highest rotary speed ever attained according to the Guinness Book of World Records, which was 2010 m/s (4500 mph). The rotating rod used to attain this speed was 15.3 cm (6 in.) long, and the quoted speed is that of the end of the rod. The conversation then goes on to discuss the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod and the force needed to hold a 1.0 g object attached to the end of the rod. There is some confusion regarding the use of r = 0.153m and the difference between rotating about the center and rotating about the end of the rod, but ultimately the conversation concludes with the correct answer for the
ilkjester

Homework Statement

According to the Guinness Book of world records. the highest rotary speed ever attained was 2010 m/s (4500 mph). the rotating rod was 15.3 cm (6 in.) long. assume that the speed quoted is that of the end of the rod.
a) What is the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?
b) if you were to attach a 1.0 g object to the end of the rod, what force would be needed to hold it on its own.

Homework Equations

ac=v^2/r
fnet=m(ac)

The Attempt at a Solution

ac=2010m/s^2/7.56
ac=528117 that just seems ridiculous for an answer.

fnet=1.0g(528117)
fnet=528117

Physics news on Phys.org
You didn't convert to m. Also, are you sure the rod is rotating about the center and not the end?

I think you're supposed to use r = 0.153m

learningphysics said:
You didn't convert to m. Also, are you sure the rod is rotating about the center and not the end?

I think you're supposed to use r = 0.153m

ok so you think i should use r = 0.153m. So just wondering but what would be the difference between rotating about the center and not the end?

ilkjester said:
ok so you think i should use r = 0.153m. So just wondering but what would be the difference between rotating about the center and not the end?

ok so i got ac=2010^2/0.153
ac=41312.970

ilkjester said:

I'm actually not really sure if they want you to use r = 0.153m or r = 0.0765m. :redface:

Just got the feeling they meant the distance from the pivot to the end of the rod is 0.153m... but I really don't know.

ilkjester said:
ok so i got ac=2010^2/0.153
ac=41312.970

how did you get that? I'm getting 2.64*10^7 m/s^2.

Thats alright I can do them with both that way i can't go wrong thank you again. But do you mind showing me how you converted them.

learningphysics said:
how did you get that? I'm getting 2.64*10^7 m/s^2.
Im not sure how i got it. Now I get the 2.64*10^7 m/s^2. I must have just hit some button on accident on the calc.

ilkjester said:
Thats alright I can do them with both that way i can't go wrong thank you again. But do you mind showing me how you converted them.

convert them? you mean the cm to m, g to kg?

learningphysics said:
convert them? you mean the cm to m, g to kg?

Yeah I should probably learn how to do it.

ilkjester said:
Yeah I should probably learn how to do it.

no prob.

[tex]1cm = 10^{-2} m [/tex]

[tex]1g = 10^{-3} kg[/tex]

I can get the inverse relations... multiply both sides of the first equation by 100. second by 1000.

so:

[tex]100cm = 1 m [/tex]

[tex]1000g = 1 kg[/tex]

so I can convert one way or the other...

so [tex] 15.3cm = 15.3*(10^{-2}m) = 0.153m[/tex]

what's really handy for converting units is the "factor label" method:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Units_conversion_by_factor-label

ok so the teacher said that we use r=0.153m so to find the centripetal acceleration. ac=v^2/r so to find velocity i do distance/time so would it be 0.153m/2010m/s. would that be how i find velocity. because i also have a circular motion equation for velocity which is v=delta r/ delta time

ilkjester said:
ok so the teacher said that we use r=0.153m so to find the centripetal acceleration. ac=v^2/r so to find velocity i do distance/time so would it be 0.153m/2010m/s. would that be how i find velocity. because i also have a circular motion equation for velocity which is v=delta r/ delta time

I don't understand. We already got the answer. You said you got the same answer as me 2.64*10^7 in post#8.

Yeah I remember now but yeah we used the whole diameter instead of the circumfrance.

ilkjester said:
Yeah I remember now but yeah we used the whole diameter instead of the circumfrance.

Hmmm... ac = v^2/r. Your teacher said we use r = 0.153 right?

ac = 2010^2/0.153 = 2.64*10^7 m/s^2

yep that's what i got thanks

Related to What is the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?

1. What is centripetal acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration that an object experiences towards the center of a circular path. It is always directed perpendicular to the velocity of the object and is responsible for keeping the object moving in a circular motion.

2. How is centripetal acceleration calculated?

Centripetal acceleration can be calculated using the formula a = v²/r, where a is the centripetal acceleration, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What factors affect the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod?

The centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod is affected by the speed of rotation, the length of the rod, and the mass of the rod. The greater the speed and length of the rod, the greater the centripetal acceleration will be. The mass of the rod also plays a role, as a heavier rod will require more force to maintain a circular motion.

4. Can the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod be negative?

No, the centripetal acceleration of the end of the rod cannot be negative. It is always directed towards the center of the circular path and is therefore always positive.

5. How does centripetal acceleration differ from tangential acceleration?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration towards the center of a circular motion, while tangential acceleration is the acceleration along the tangent of the circular path. They are both components of the total acceleration of an object in circular motion, but they act in different directions.