What is the correct method for finding the lattice constant of NaCl?

In summary, the question asks for the lattice constant of NaCl, which is a simple cubic lattice with Na and Cl atoms alternating positions. Assuming that the atoms are hard spheres with nearest neighbors touching, the lattice constant can be calculated using the equation a = 2 * r, where r is the effective radius of the atoms. Using the given values of 1.0 angstroms for Na and 1.8 angstroms for Cl, the calculated lattice constant is 5.6 angstroms. However, the solutions manual states that the correct answer is 2.8 angstroms, which is obtained by using the equation a = r1 + r2. This raises the question of which answer is correct and why
paperstars

Homework Statement

NaCl is a simple cubic lattice, with the Na and Cl atoms alternating positions. Assuming that the atoms are hard spheres with nearest neighbors touching, what is the lattice constant of NaCl? (The effective radius of Na is 1.0 angstroms, and the effective radius of Cl is 1.8 angstroms.)

Homework Equations

lattice constant = 2 * radius

=> a = 2r

The Attempt at a Solution

I did a = 2 (r1 + r2) = 2(1.0 + 1.8) = 5.6 angstroms. I've googled the lattice constant of NaCl to be 5.65 angstroms.

However, my solutions manual says that a = r1 + r2 = 1.0 + 1.8 = 2.8 angstroms is the correct answer.

I thought that the lattice constant is equal to the complete distance of the two atoms, from one end to the other, so that means 2r.

I'm wondering which answer is correct and why?

Physics news on Phys.org
Please help, I actually lost a little sleep last night trying to figure this out. :tongue:

I asked my professor and he didn't give me a straight answer on whether my method of thinking is correct or not. However, my impression from his response was my method was correct but on second thought, I'm having doubts.

What is the "lattice constant" of NaCl?

The lattice constant of NaCl refers to the distance between the repeating units (or lattice points) in a crystal structure of sodium chloride (NaCl). It is also known as the unit cell length or lattice parameter.

How is the lattice constant of NaCl determined?

The lattice constant of NaCl is determined through experimental methods such as X-ray diffraction or electron microscopy. These techniques involve analyzing the diffraction patterns produced by the crystal structure to determine the spacing between atoms.

Why is the lattice constant of NaCl important to study?

The lattice constant of NaCl is crucial for understanding the physical and chemical properties of the compound. It can provide information about the arrangement of atoms and the strength of the bonds between them. It also affects the crystal structure and the overall behavior of the compound.

What factors can affect the lattice constant of NaCl?

The lattice constant of NaCl can be influenced by a variety of factors, including temperature, pressure, and impurities. Changes in these parameters can alter the distance between atoms, leading to a different lattice constant.

Can the lattice constant of NaCl be calculated theoretically?

Yes, the lattice constant of NaCl can be calculated theoretically using mathematical models and computer simulations. However, experimental methods are still necessary to validate these calculations.