What is the derivative of ln(x)^e ?

lIllIlIIIl
Can't figure it out, here's a screenshot with better typography.
1693584661856.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this math homework? or something else?

EDIT: Disregard the following as I thought you were trying to integrate this expression which is very hard to do. I leave the proof to the students of the future.

Code:
Often integral tables can help get an answer but they are acceptable when its a homework assignment. I looked at a few and this integral is not listed. They do show ones where ##ln(x)^n## with n an integer but none with a real number power.

What work have you done to solve this?

One attack that might work is to replace ln(x) with y and ask what is the integral for that and then you could use the function of a function approach to get an answer.

Last edited:
Likes pinball1970
lIllIlIIIl said:
View attachment 331333
I can't imagine where that function came from, but the chain rule is your friend!

Likes WWGD
I moved the thread to the homework forums since this is a homework-type problem.

Likes berkeman
Like PeroK said, try describing your function as a composition of other functions . Then apply the Chain Rule.

lIllIlIIIl said:
View attachment 331333
Your problem is ambiguous, so isn't clear to me.

Is it ##\ln[x^e]## or is it ##(\ln(x))^e##? IOW, are we raising x to the power e or are we raising ##\ln(x)## to the power e?

jedishrfu said:
One attack that might work is to replace ln(x) with y and ask what is the integral for that
The problem asks for the derivative, not the integral.

I guess I’m not the only one with a reading problem.

1. What is the derivative of ln(x)^e?

The derivative of ln(x)^e is e/x. This can be derived using the chain rule and the derivative of ln(x) which is 1/x.

2. Why is the derivative of ln(x)^e equal to e/x?

The derivative of ln(x)^e is equal to e/x because of the properties of logarithms and the chain rule. The derivative of ln(x) is 1/x, and when raised to the power of e, the derivative becomes e/x.

3. Can the derivative of ln(x)^e be simplified?

Yes, the derivative of ln(x)^e can be simplified to e/x. This is the simplest form of the derivative and cannot be further simplified.

4. What is the significance of the derivative of ln(x)^e?

The derivative of ln(x)^e is important in calculus and mathematical analysis. It is used to find the rate of change of a function and to solve optimization problems.

5. How can the derivative of ln(x)^e be applied in real-world situations?

The derivative of ln(x)^e can be applied in various real-world situations, such as calculating compound interest, analyzing population growth, and determining the optimal production level in economics.