What is the difference between an electron and electromagnetic waves?

In summary, the conversation discusses the nature of energy and particles, specifically electrons and photons. It also touches on the concept of wave-particle duality and the possibility of diffracting larger objects such as molecules and viruses. The conversation concludes with a humorous remark about the realness of oneself.
neom
Both are energy right?

I'm asking cause I'm trying to understand the double-slit experiment and I'm just wondering how they can be sure to treat the electron as a particle. Could it be performed with for instance whole atoms or maybe the cores or something else that's more obviously matter? And has it been done?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
neom said:
Both are energy right?

Wrong. Energy is an attribute, they carry a certain amount of it, but you can't say that they are energy.

Electrons carry charge and are therefore sources of an electromagnetic field. An electromagnetic wave on the other hand can be thought of as a propagating change of such an electromagnetic field.

Ok, but I now have a few other questions. What happens if both slits are open, but they are far between and the electrons gets sent through only one of them? If it's a wave it can still get through both slits even though one is far away. What would happen? And if only one slot are open, how will it look on the screen with the slits if you measure how it spreads there. Will it show a pattern on the first screen?

Electrons are particles that make up everyday matter, along with protons and neutrons (which are made of quarks). Photons are particles of light (or electromagnetic phenomena in general), which is a form of energy.

All particles in quantum mechanics have something called wave-particle duality; they behave in some ways like particles and in some ways like waves. When you are diffracting them, they are behaving like waves. Particles do not diffract. So I guess the answer to your question is "they don't".

Yes, you can diffract anything. It becomes harder and harder the heavier the thing you are trying to diffract, but yes, you can do it with molecules:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=353456
The buckyball paper referenced there can be read here:
http://hexagon.physics.wisc.edu/teaching/2010s%20ph531%20quantum%20mechanics/interesting%20papers/zeilinger%20large%20molecule%20interference%20ajp%202003.pdf [Broken]

I can't find the reference now, but I seem to recall that someone actually diffracted a virus. This link:
http://www.science20.com/hammock_physicist/quantum_viruses
is related, but not quite what I was thinking of.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, that's very cool. And insane too. Molecules behaving like waves, makes me completely doubt if I'm real at all.

neom said:
Thanks, that's very cool. And insane too. Molecules behaving like waves, makes me completely doubt if I'm real at all.

You're probably imaginary.

neom said:

Why would acting like a wave make you not real? It's just another aspect of yourself that you knew nothing about!

1. What is an electron?

An electron is a subatomic particle that has a negative charge and is found orbiting the nucleus of an atom. It is one of the basic building blocks of matter.

2. What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is composed of oscillating electric and magnetic fields. It can travel through empty space and does not require a medium to propagate.

3. What is the main difference between an electron and an electromagnetic wave?

The main difference between an electron and an electromagnetic wave is that an electron is a particle with mass and charge, while an electromagnetic wave is a form of energy with no mass or charge.

4. How do electrons and electromagnetic waves interact?

Electrons and electromagnetic waves can interact through a process called electromagnetic radiation. This occurs when an electron absorbs or emits energy in the form of an electromagnetic wave.

5. Can electrons and electromagnetic waves be converted into each other?

No, electrons and electromagnetic waves cannot be converted into each other. However, they can interact and influence each other's behavior, such as when an electron absorbs or emits an electromagnetic wave.