What is the effective current?

• Thread starter mba444
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Current
In summary, in this conversation, an effective AC voltage of 170 V at 60 Hz is applied to an RLC circuit with a 20.7 mH inductor, 0.162 μF capacitor, and 55.1 resistor in series. The questions asked were: a) What is the effective current? b) What is the power factor of the circuit? c) What is the power consumed in the circuit? To answer these questions, the formulas I(rms) = I/sqrt(2), I = emf/Z, and power factor = R/Z can be used. By using these formulas, the effective current can be found in units of A, the power factor can be determined, and the power
mba444

Homework Statement

An effective AC voltage of 170 V at 60 Hz
is applied to an RLC circuit with 20.7 mH
inductor, 0.162 μF capacitor, and 55.1
resistor in series.

a) What is the effective current? Answer in
units of A.

b)What is the power factor of the circuit?

c) What is the power consumed in the circuit?
Answer in units of W.

Homework Equations

a) I(rms) = I/sqrt (2), I= emf/Z
b) power factor = R/Z

The Attempt at a Solution

im totally lost i know that those are the related equations but i have difficulties in solving .. since i don't understand this chapter well

need your help please

Physics news on Phys.org
thanx i got it now

Related to What is the effective current?

1. What is effective current?

The effective current, also known as the root mean square (RMS) current, is a mathematical concept used to describe the average amount of current flowing through a circuit. It takes into account the fluctuations in current over time, giving a more accurate representation of the actual current flowing through a circuit.

2. How is effective current calculated?

To calculate effective current, you can use the formula Ieff = Imax/√2, where Imax is the maximum current and √2 is a constant. Alternatively, you can use a multimeter to measure the effective current directly.

3. What is the difference between effective current and peak current?

Effective current is the average amount of current flowing through a circuit, while peak current is the maximum amount of current reached during a specific time period. Effective current takes into account the fluctuations in current, while peak current only reflects the highest point of the current wave.

4. Why is effective current important?

Effective current is important because it gives a more accurate representation of the actual current flowing through a circuit. This is particularly useful in alternating current (AC) circuits, where the current is constantly changing direction and magnitude. It is also used to calculate the power in a circuit, which is crucial for safety and efficiency.

5. What factors can affect the effective current in a circuit?

The effective current in a circuit can be affected by a variety of factors, including the type of current (AC or direct current), the resistance and impedance of the circuit, and the frequency of the current. It can also be affected by external factors such as temperature and the quality of the components used in the circuit.