What is the electric field at a point 4 cm from the axis of a cylindrical shell?

In summary: Some people are very knowledgeable in the subject, and some are not so knowledgeable. So, you might get an answer you don't like from someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Just try to be polite and learn something.In summary, the problem involves a cylindrical shell with a uniformly distributed charge density on its surface and an electric field intensity of 44800 N/C at a point 23 cm radially outward from its axis. The task is to find the electric field at a point 4 cm from the axis, using the equation E = (Keq)/r^2 and given the value of ke = 8.99 × 10^9 N · m^2/C^2. The conversation also includes advice to
pcml100

Homework Statement

A cylindrical shell of radius 9.9 cm and length 286 cm has its charge density uniformly distributed on its surface. The electric field intensity at a point 23 cm radially outward from its axis (measured from the midpoint of the shell ) is 44800 N/C.
Given: ke = 8.99 × 10^9 N · m^2/C^2,

What is the electric field at a point 4 cm from
the axis?

Homework Equations

E = (Keq)/r2

The Attempt at a Solution

I kind of don't even know where to start

Physics news on Phys.org
First get hold of some good book and clarify the theory part. Then think of attempting the problem.

Thanks for your incredibly helpful and polite answer Einstein. I figured it out, it just confused me because I had done around 15 problems by the time I got to this one so I was exhausted. This forum has some really stuck up people if I may say so...

you may say so...
I didnt mean to be 'impolite'. So i do apologize!

pcml100 said:
I kind of don't even know where to start
[/b]
But next time before posting a problem, try it out at least an hour, and give a decent attempt to the solution. The mentors will help you to figure out where you have done a mistake, or where you are stuck!

pcml100 said:
Thanks for your incredibly helpful and polite answer Einstein. I figured it out, it just confused me because I had done around 15 problems by the time I got to this one so I was exhausted. This forum has some really stuck up people if I may say so...
However, Most people who post questions asking for help are actually polite. A few are not so polite.

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical property that describes the influence that an electric charge has on other charges and objects in its vicinity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

2. How is the electric field at a point measured?

The electric field at a point is measured by dividing the force experienced by a test charge placed at that point by the magnitude of the test charge. This is known as the electric field strength or electric field intensity.

3. What is a cylindrical shell?

A cylindrical shell is a three-dimensional shape that is formed by rotating a rectangle around a central axis. It is similar to a cylinder, but with an open end.

4. How is the electric field calculated at a point 4 cm from the axis of a cylindrical shell?

The electric field at a point 4 cm from the axis of a cylindrical shell can be calculated using the formula E = kQ/r², where k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the charge of the shell, and r is the distance from the axis to the point.

5. What factors affect the electric field at a point?

The electric field at a point is affected by the magnitude and distribution of the charge, as well as the distance from the charge. It also depends on the medium in which the charges are located, as different materials have different dielectric constants that can impact the electric field.