What is the Electric Field at the Origin in a Semicircle?

In summary, we can solve for the magnitude and direction of the electric field at the origin by using the given values of the radius, charge, and test charge. By dividing the charge into segments and finding the field of each segment, we can then sum them up to find the overall electric field. Using the charge per unit length and the charge on each slice, we can determine the components of the electric field and find the final magnitude and direction.
amb0027

Homework Statement

You have a semicircle of radius R and charge Q. We also have available a test charge +qo.

Find the Magnitude and direction of the electric field at the origin.

Homework Equations

Electric Field:
F = k (Q * qo)/(R^2)
E = F/qo = kQ/R^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to solve this, I assumed it would be kQ/R^2 but I am mistaken. Can someone please explain? I'm looking for an explanation on line but not having any luck

Physics news on Phys.org
Wait? The charge Q is distributed over a semicircle? I'm guessing you're going to have to use Gauss' law. But could you make the problem statement clearer? Where's the origin?

Sorry, I've figured it out. I just thought it was a more simple problem than this... For future reference, this is how you solve it.

It's a continuous Distribution of charge so
1) Divide the charge into segments dQ for which you already know the field
2) Find the field of each dQ
3) Find E by summing all dQ

So, the charge per unit length would be : [tex]\lambda[/tex] = Q/[tex]\pi[/tex]R
The charge on the slice dq = [tex]\lambda[/tex]Rd[tex]\theta[/tex]

The field generated by the slice would be dE = k dq/R^2 = k [tex]\lambda[/tex]/R d[tex]\theta[/tex]

Components of dE would be: dEx = dEcos[tex]\theta[/tex], dEy = -dEsin[tex]\theta[/tex]

Add them all up you get:
Ex = k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R [tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to pi of cos[tex]\theta[/tex] d[tex]\theta[/tex] = k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R sin[tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to pi which = 0

Ey = -k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R [tex]\int[/tex] from 0 to pi of sin[tex]\theta[/tex] d[tex]\theta[/tex] = k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R cos[tex]\theta[/tex] from 0 to pi which = -2k[tex]\lambda[/tex]/R

Related to What is the Electric Field at the Origin in a Semicircle?

What is an electric field at the origin?

An electric field at the origin refers to the strength and direction of the electric force at a specific point in space, specifically at the origin (x=0, y=0, z=0) on a coordinate plane. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

How is the electric field at the origin calculated?

The electric field at the origin is calculated using the equation E = k*q/r^2, where k is the Coulomb's constant, q is the point charge, and r is the distance from the origin to the charge. This equation follows the inverse square law, meaning the electric field strength decreases as the distance from the origin increases.

What factors affect the electric field at the origin?

The electric field at the origin is affected by the magnitude and direction of the point charge, as well as the distance from the charge. Additionally, the presence of other charges in the surrounding area can also influence the electric field at the origin.

Why is the electric field at the origin important?

The electric field at the origin is important because it helps us understand the behavior and interaction of electric charges. It also plays a crucial role in many applications, such as in electronics, where the electric field is used to control the flow of electrons in circuits.

How is the electric field at the origin represented?

The electric field at the origin is typically represented by a vector arrow pointing in the direction of the electric field and with a length proportional to the strength of the field. The direction of the arrow indicates the direction of the electric force that a positive test charge would experience at that point.