What is the final temperate of the aluminum?

In summary, the problem involves adding 69.3 J of heat to a 121 g piece of aluminum at 22.5 C and finding the final temperature. The equation used is Q = m c (T - T1) and the missing piece of information is the specific heat of aluminum, which can be looked up.
Dave25

Homework Statement

Suppose 69.3 J of heat is added to a 121 g piece of aluminum at 22.5 C. What is the final temperate of the aluminum?

Homework Equations

Q = m c (T - T1) I think, but I am only given 1 temp.

The Attempt at a Solution

There are examples that are simialr in my book except they don't use a figure like 69.3 J. This is what is confusing me. If someone could tell me the equation I should use I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try looking up the specific heat of aluminum. This is the last piece of information that you'll need to solve the problem.

Your equation is correct.

Got it! Thanks.

What is the final temperature of the aluminum?

The final temperature of aluminum will depend on several factors such as the initial temperature, the amount of heat added or removed, and the specific heat capacity of aluminum. It can be calculated using the formula: Q = m x c x ΔT, where Q is the amount of heat, m is the mass of aluminum, c is the specific heat capacity, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

What is the specific heat capacity of aluminum?

The specific heat capacity of aluminum is 0.897 J/g°C. This means that it takes 0.897 joules of energy to raise the temperature of 1 gram of aluminum by 1 degree Celsius.

How does the initial temperature affect the final temperature of aluminum?

The initial temperature of aluminum will play a significant role in determining the final temperature. If the initial temperature is higher than the surrounding temperature, the aluminum will cool down until it reaches equilibrium. Similarly, if the initial temperature is lower, the aluminum will heat up until it reaches equilibrium.

What is the difference between final temperature and equilibrium temperature?

The final temperature of aluminum is the temperature it reaches after a certain amount of heat has been added or removed. On the other hand, equilibrium temperature is the temperature at which the aluminum and its surroundings are in thermal equilibrium, meaning there is no more heat transfer between them.

Can the final temperature of aluminum be negative?

Yes, the final temperature of aluminum can be negative if the initial temperature is already below the surrounding temperature and more heat is removed from it. However, it is not possible for aluminum to reach absolute zero (-273.15°C) as it would violate the third law of thermodynamics.