1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the force of the spring constant?

1. Jun 17, 2012 #1
    If a spring is originally compressed by 6cm, what is the force of the spring constant?
    A block of inertia m=0.2kg is launched from a spring onto frictionless surface. The velocity is 2.5m/s upon leaving the spring.
    I used Hooke's law and got
    k=mg/x
    0.2kg x 9.8m/s / 0.06m = 32.7 N/m
    The next question is if this spring was used to suspend a 3kg block from ceiling what would the displacement of the spring be?
    I need some help with the ratio of what is needed to solve this problem

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 17, 2012 #2
    would the equation change by the new equation of
    3.0kg x 9.8 ms / .06 = 490 N/m

4. Jun 17, 2012 #3
    My mind keeps thinking that there is some relationship between the displacement of the 2.5 m/s velocity of the first block after it left the spring. Is this something that is valid?

5. Jun 17, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

I moved your posts to a separate thread.
    You'll need to describe the problem more carefully. Is the mass launched horizontally?
    That would be true if the mass were placed on a vertical spring and allowed to come to equilibrium. Is that what's going on here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook