What is the general integral for this improper integral?

In summary: So the solution is to find the general anti-derivative and then take limits.In summary, the problem is that you have the wrong anti-derivative of sec(x)tan(x). You need to find the general anti-derivative and then take limits.
BlackMamba
Hello,

I have a problem that I am having difficulties with. I'm told to find the general integral.

So here is the problem:
[itex]\int_{\frac {\pi} {2}}^{\frac {-\pi} {2}} \frac {sinx} {1 - sin^2 x} dx[/itex]

Here is my partial solution:

[itex]\int_{\frac {\pi} {2}}^{\frac {-\pi} {2}} \frac {sinx} {cos^2 x} dx[/itex]

[itex]\int_{\frac {\pi} {2}}^{\frac {-\pi} {2}} \frac {1} {cosx} * \frac {sinx} {cosx} dx[/itex]

[itex]\int_{\frac {\pi} {2}}^{\frac {-\pi} {2}} secxtanx dx[/itex]

[itex]= [tanx][/itex]

But here is where I am stuck, because when you evaluate [itex]tanx[/itex] from [itex]\frac {\pi} {2}[/itex] to [itex]\frac {-\pi} {2}[/itex] you get an error because no value exists for [itex]tan \frac {\pi} {2}[/itex]

Any help would be greatly appreciated. :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
wouldn't it be zero? you're integrating from pi/2 to -pi/2 & tan is an odd function.

Well that is what I was unsure of. I just double checked the math on my calculator, and I realized I made an error inputting the values. So that would explain the error.

Thanks for the input. :smile:

The problem might be that you have the wrong antiderivative of sec(x)tan(x). What is the derivative of sec(x)?

OOPS i guess it has been a while since i last did calculus... sorry about that :eek: :redface:

d_leet said:
The problem might be that you have the wrong antiderivative of sec(x)tan(x). What is the derivative of sec(x)?

But surely sec (pi/2)=1/0 as well??

I'm a little puzzled by your saying you are asked to find the "general integral" and then asking for a specific value for a definite integral.

Of course, since the denominator, 1- sin2x is 0 at both [itex]\frac{pi}{2}[/itex] and [itex]-\frac{\pi}{2}[/itex], this is an "improper integral". It's value is defined as
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\rightarrow -\frac{\pi}{2}} \lim_{\beta\rightarrow \frac{\pi}{2}}\int_\beta^\alpha \frac{sin x}{1- sin^2 x}dx[/tex]
So what you want to do is find the "general anti-derivative" and then take limits. Of course, that is precisely what you did- you can't evaluate tan(x) at the endpoints precisely because those limits do not exist.

The "Cauchy Principal Value" for this integral is defined as
[tex]\lim_{\alpha\rightarrow \frac{pi}{2}}\int_\alpha^{-\alpha}\frac{sin x}{1- sin^2x} dx[/tex]
and since the integrand is odd, that is 0.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a general integral?

A general integral is the mathematical term for the collection of all possible solutions to a given differential equation. It represents the infinite number of curves that could potentially fit the equation.

2. Why is finding the general integral important?

Finding the general integral is important because it allows us to solve differential equations and understand the behavior of various physical systems. It also helps us make predictions and model real-world phenomena.

3. How do you find the general integral?

To find the general integral, you need to first solve the differential equation by using various techniques such as separation of variables, substitution, or integration by parts. Then, you can find the constant of integration and express the solution as a general integral.

4. Can there be multiple general integrals for the same differential equation?

Yes, there can be multiple general integrals for the same differential equation. This is because the constant of integration can take on different values, resulting in different solutions that still satisfy the original equation.

5. How is the general integral related to the particular integral?

The general integral is a collection of all possible solutions, while the particular integral is a specific solution that satisfies the given initial conditions. The particular integral can be obtained from the general integral by plugging in the appropriate values for the constants of integration.