What is the hardest man made material?

• Thread starter willstaruss22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, humans have not yet created anything harder than a diamond. The hardest thing in nature, specifically in space, is neutronium if it exists. However, it is not clear how to test its hardness due to its superfluid properties.
willstaruss22
Im just curious if Humans have created anything harder than a diamond.

Physics news on Phys.org
Now the hardest thing nature has ever created (by nature I mean space) Is neutronium, if it exists

dbmorpher said:
Now the hardest thing nature has ever created (by nature I mean space) Is neutronium, if it exists

I don't think that's actually helpful, even if it does exist, because you can't DO anything with it. As I understand it, as soon as a small amount of was removed from a neutron star, it would separate explosively.

phinds said:
I don't think that's actually helpful, even if it does exist, because you can't DO anything with it. As I understand it, as soon as a small amount of was removed from a neutron star, it would separate explosively.

exactly

dbmorpher said:

It isn't clear. Neutron star cores are superfluid, so they might not be hard at all. Intuition is not of much use.

The problem is that how would you test such hardness? If you tried to scratch it wish something else, that something would collapse into neutrons and be absorbed, I think. So what does hardness even mean?

1. What is the hardest man made material?

The hardest man made material is currently considered to be ultrahard fullerite, a form of carbon that is produced under extremely high pressure and has a hardness of about 150 GPa (gigapascals). This is significantly harder than diamond, which has a hardness of about 70 GPa.

2. How is ultrahard fullerite made?

Ultrahard fullerite is made by subjecting a material called fullerite, which is made of carbon atoms arranged in a spherical shape, to extremely high pressure. This causes the carbon atoms to bond in a different way, creating a harder and more compact material.

3. What are some other man made materials that are known for their hardness?

Besides ultrahard fullerite, other man made materials that are known for their hardness include boron nitride nanotubes, which have a hardness of about 100 GPa, and tungsten carbide, which has a hardness of about 30 GPa.

4. How is the hardness of a material measured?

The hardness of a material is typically measured using the Vickers hardness test or the Mohs hardness scale. The Vickers test involves indenting a material with a diamond pyramid and measuring the size of the indentation. The Mohs scale, on the other hand, rates the hardness of minerals on a scale of 1 to 10 based on their ability to scratch each other.

5. Can the hardness of a material be improved?

Yes, the hardness of a material can be improved through various methods such as increasing its density, altering its crystal structure, or adding other elements to the material. However, there is a limit to how hard a material can be made, and it also depends on the specific properties and intended use of the material.