What is the heat of combustion of 1 kg carbon dioxide w/ magnesium?

In summary, the conversation is about finding the heat of combustion of one kilogram of carbon dioxide with magnesium. The equation 2 Mg(s) + CO2 ---> 2 MgO(s) + C(s) yields a standard enthalpy of -810.1 kJ/mol, with the standard enthalpy of formation of C(s) being zero joules/mol. It is important to distinguish between the standard molar reaction enthalpy, ΔrH°, and the standard molar enthalpy of formation, ΔfH°, which is the heat change accompanying the formation of one mole of compound from the elements at standard state. The standard molar enthalpy of formation for MgO(s) is -601
James Essig
TL;DR Summary
I am trying to find out the heat of combustion of one kilogram of carbon dioxide with magnesium. I am looking for results for stochiometric conditions of these two reactants.
I am trying to find out the heat of combustion of one kilogram of carbon dioxide with magnesium. I am looking for results for stochiometric conditions of these two reactants.

I have found the following equation online

2 Mg(s) + CO2 ---> 2 MgO(s) + C(s) yields a standard enthalpy of --810.1 kJ/mol.

I would think that the C(s) is in its standard state and thus has a standard enthalpy of formation of zero joules/mol. Thus, I would tend to believe that the standard enthalpy of formation of 2 MgO(s) from the precursor magnesium and carbon dioxide is --810.1 kJ/mol.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
You must clearly distinguish between the standard molar reaction enthalpy, ΔrH°, and the standard molar enthalpy of formation (or standard molar heat of formation), ΔfH°.

ΔrH° = -810.1 kJ/mol is the standard molar reaction enthalpy for the reaction 2Mg(s) + CO2 ---> 2MgO(s) + C(s) .

The standard molar enthalpy of formation of a compound is the heat change accompanying the formation of one mole of compound from the elements at standard state.

For the standard molar enthalpy of formation of MgO(s) one has ΔfH° = -601.7 kJ/mol for the formation reaction Mg(s) + 1/2O2(g) ---> MgO(s).

Thanks for your reply Lord Jestocost. Now I understand the reaction.

1. What is the heat of combustion?

The heat of combustion is the amount of energy released when a substance undergoes complete combustion with oxygen. It is typically measured in units of energy per mass, such as joules per gram or kilojoules per kilogram.

2. How is the heat of combustion calculated?

The heat of combustion can be calculated by measuring the amount of heat released during the combustion reaction and dividing it by the mass of the substance being burned. This can be done using a calorimeter or other specialized equipment.

3. What is the heat of combustion of 1 kg carbon dioxide with magnesium?

The heat of combustion of 1 kg carbon dioxide with magnesium depends on the specific reaction conditions and the purity of the substances involved. It can range from approximately 3,000 to 4,000 kilojoules per kilogram.

4. How does magnesium affect the heat of combustion of carbon dioxide?

Magnesium is a highly reactive metal that can increase the rate of combustion and produce a more intense reaction. This can lead to a higher heat of combustion for carbon dioxide when magnesium is present in the reaction.

5. Why is the heat of combustion of carbon dioxide with magnesium important?

The heat of combustion of carbon dioxide with magnesium is important for understanding the energy released during this type of reaction. It can also be used in calculations for industrial processes, such as determining the energy efficiency of a fuel source or designing more efficient combustion engines.