What is the is the rise in temperature of the rock

In summary, My Physics teacher gave us a quiz problem and I don't understand it really how he got his answer. Can you please give me your answer and an explanation for the answer Thanks.
Sheldinoh
My Physics teacher gave us a quiz problem and I don't understand it really how he got his answer. Can you please give me your answer and an explanation for the answer Thanks. Here is the question:

A .5 kg rock is dropped from a height of 20 meters into a pail containing .6 kg of water. The rock has a specific heat of 1480 and the water has a specific heat of 4186. What is the is the rise in temperature of the rock and water ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Show what you have tried already.

I think it is:
mgh(energy of fall ) = mcT + mcT

My teacher says its:
mgh + mcT = mcT

.In terms of energy changes PE changes to KE and then to heat in both the water and the rock.It is not necessary to calculate the KE so go straight to your equation which is the correct one.Make sure you plug in the right values for m and c.

Thanks for agreeing with me. Could you help me out now with making my physics teacher agree with me. He says that you add the energy of the rock with the heat from the rock to equal the heat of the water. mgh+mcT(rock)=mcT(water). I think it is wrong but I have no clue how to explain it. Do you know how.

The impression gained from your question was that the rock and water were both at the same temperature at the start. Let us assume they are not.
If the rock were colder then it would gain some of its heat energy from the heat energy of the water and if the water were colder it would gain some of its heat energy from the heat energy rock.If they were at the same temperature, which is what I assume from your question,then both would gain heat energy from the PE only and both of them would heat up.

1. What causes the rise in temperature of a rock?

The rise in temperature of a rock can be caused by various factors such as exposure to sunlight, contact with a heat source, or an increase in ambient temperature. It can also be a result of internal processes within the rock, such as chemical reactions or radioactive decay.

2. Is the rise in temperature of a rock permanent?

No, the rise in temperature of a rock is not permanent. As long as the external or internal factors causing the rise in temperature continue, the rock's temperature will remain elevated. However, once these factors are removed, the rock will gradually cool down and return to its original temperature.

3. Does every rock experience a rise in temperature?

No, not every rock will experience a rise in temperature. The extent to which a rock's temperature changes depends on its composition, size, and location. Some rocks are better at retaining heat than others, and some are more exposed to external heat sources.

4. Can the rise in temperature of a rock affect its physical properties?

Yes, the rise in temperature of a rock can affect its physical properties. When a rock's temperature increases, it expands, and when it cools down, it contracts. This expansion and contraction can cause stress and lead to cracks and fractures in the rock. Additionally, high temperatures can also cause changes in the mineral composition of a rock.

5. How do scientists measure the rise in temperature of a rock?

Scientists use various tools and techniques to measure the rise in temperature of a rock. One common method is by using a thermometer to measure the external temperature of the rock's surface. Other methods include using infrared cameras, data loggers, and temperature probes to measure the internal temperature of the rock over time.