1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the maximum electric field in the system?

1. Jul 24, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Two parallel plates are connected to a constant electrostatic potential.
    Half the space between the plates is filled whit air, one quarter whit a conductor and the fourth quarter whit a dielectric whit realtive permittivity of 80. What is the maximum electric field in the system?

2. Relevant equations

Between the plates [tex] E = \frac{V}{d} [/tex] V = potential difference and d = distance between plates.

3. The attempt at a solution

Well first I think that the air will "break" first. I do also think that I need to calculate the flux density first, however Im not sure how to procced

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2008 #2
    Re: dielectric

I posted a picture at the problem...anyway how do I begin to calculate the electric field? Just to use E = V/d doesnt cut it, I need to incorporate the dielectric constants also

[​IMG]

4. Jul 29, 2008 #3
    Re: dielectric

It's just two capacitors in series.. one with dielectric and one without (and different dimensions).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?