What is the net torque on the system

In summary, the problem involves a 4.60 kg counterweight attached to a uniform solid cylinder of radius 7.00 cm and mass 1.00 kg, with a light cord wound around the spool. The net torque on the system about point O is 3.16 N·m. When the counterweight has a speed v, the pulley has an angular speed ω = v/R. To find the total angular momentum of the system about O, the block and the cylinder must be calculated separately. The cylinder's angular momentum is Iω, while the block's is determined using the moment of inertia formula.
Guruu

Homework Statement

A 4.60 kg counterweight is attached to a light cord, which is wound around a spool. The spool is a uniform solid cylinder of radius 7.00 cm and mass 1.00 kg.

(a) What is the net torque on the system about the point O?
Magnitude: 3.16 N·m

(b) When the counterweight has a speed v, the pulley has an angular speed ω = v/R. Determine the total angular momentum of the system about O.

____ v kg·m2/s

(c) Using the fact that torque = dL/dt and your result from (b), calculate the acceleration of the counterweight.
______ m/s2

Homework Equations

L=Iw ?
I=1/2mr^2 ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already done part A. My question involves part B. My best try was to calculate the angular momentum of the block and apply that to the whole system but that obviously doesn't work. My problem is with factoring in the counterweight when finding the angular momentum of hte whole system. I hate this unit, I'm pretty lost on it hah.

Also, I think I can do part C if I figure out part B, but any help would still be appreciated.

I can't show the picture but it is a solid disk with the properties listed, with a counterweight hanging down perpendicular to the radius of the disk. If you have any questions about how it looks I can answer them. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Guruu! :smile:

(why did you keep using w, instead of copying the ω in the question? :wink:)
Guruu said:
(b) When the counterweight has a speed v, the pulley has an angular speed ω = v/R. Determine the total angular momentum of the system about O.

My question involves part B. My best try was to calculate the angular momentum of the block and apply that to the whole system but that obviously doesn't work. My problem is with factoring in the counterweight when finding the angular momentum of hte whole system.

No, you must do the block and the cylinder separately.

The cylinder,as you know, is Iω, but the block is just the fundamental formula moment of inertia = speed times perpendicular distance (in other words it's the moment of the velocity). :smile:

Thanks a lot man.

1. What is torque?

Torque is a measure of the force that causes an object to rotate around an axis. It is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the object by the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

2. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by summing up all the individual torques acting on an object in a system. This can be done by using the formula: net torque = force x distance x sin(theta), where theta is the angle between the force vector and the lever arm.

3. What factors affect the net torque on a system?

The net torque on a system is affected by the magnitude of the applied forces, the distance from the axis of rotation, and the angle between the force vector and the lever arm. Additionally, the distribution of mass in the system and the direction of the forces can also impact the net torque.

4. How does net torque relate to rotational equilibrium?

In order for a system to be in rotational equilibrium, the net torque acting on it must be zero. This means that the clockwise and counterclockwise torques must balance each other out, resulting in no overall rotation.

5. Can net torque be negative?

Yes, net torque can be negative. This occurs when the sum of the clockwise torques is greater than the sum of the counterclockwise torques, causing the object to rotate in the opposite direction. Negative net torque can also result in rotational equilibrium as long as the magnitude is equal to the positive net torque in the opposite direction.