What is the newest installment of 'Random Thoughts' on Physics Forums?
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11,071 replies · 762K views
Physics news on Phys.org
- 20,819
- 28,467
No. Wrong coke.WWGD said:Burger Keiser?
- 20,819
- 28,467
I thought about the Colonel, but then I had to cross the entire town. Döner would have won if they had a place to park.
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,743
strangerep said:Really? You've never heard of snoopy vs the red baron? (Try googling it.)![]()
fresh_42 said:
Here's one with a functional flying doghouse.
HankDorsett
Gold Member
- 82
- 29
Even though I'm on a science forum that's still a topic that I won't touch. It's nearly impossible to talk to anyone with extreme viewpoints regardless of which side they are on.strangerep said:Umm,... and what about every religion/cult that's been doing something similar for thousands of years in order to control and fleece a gullible population... ?
- 20,819
- 28,467
Indeed. Fundamentalism in <insert a subject of your choice> is the total opposite of a scientific attitude which demands the willingness to question everything and take nothing for granted without proof or evidence. Both create necessarily a contradiction if mixed.HankDorsett said:Even though I'm on a science forum that's still a topic that I won't touch. It's nearly impossible to talk to anyone with extreme viewpoints regardless of which side they are on.
- 20,819
- 28,467
- 20,819
- 28,467
Btw. Yes, Döner have been invented by a Turk, Kadir Nurman. However, he lived in Berlin, so no trans europe express would have been needed.WWGD said:Doesn't the TEE take you to Doner?
The story is funny and tells something about cultures. The dish itself is old, and Nurman had opened a restaurant in Berlin, offering Turkish dishes. But he had no guests. Everybody was running by. To run in contrast to have a meal and two hours time in east Anatolia. So he simply thought: If the Germans do not have time to sit down and eat during their lunch break, I'll put my dishes in a pocket of flatbread and make it an "on-the-run".
At least this is the most popular version. You bet that several others also claim their versions.
Edit: An American student got so used to eat Döner when studying in Berlin, that he opened a Döner stand when back in Seattle. As the poor guy wasn't allowed to import the meat he experimented almost two years to reproduce the right mixture, consistency, and spices. When he finally got it, his business flourished. I hadn't a moment of doubt. It is like made for Americans, too: meat, salad in an eatable pocket and made in minutes. And honestly? It is better food than any burger, considering the nutritions.
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
As a Math person, it hurts me deeply that apartment 1B is not just called apartment B. No units in ring of apartments? There is torsion, because if there are k stories in the complex then (k+1)B =0, because there is no (k+1)St floor. But no unity!
- 20,819
- 28,467
One possibility, ##1## isn't a unit.
- 20,819
- 28,467
Try not to ask him if he is a zero divisor ...WWGD said:Maybe true, it is der Janitor's closet.
- 13,926
- 16,805
Yup.Bystander said:Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?
<Smashes compu...>
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 7,908
- 13,226
Right. We take x steps forward, y backwards and we hope that x>y. Not quite sure it's true. EDIT: I, and I am sure many others, had ignored the repeated warnings on blackboxing technology to the degree that we had, that it would increase complexity to the point of implosion. Maybe the day is here.Bystander said:Isn't software wonderful? Ready to join the Luddites?
- 20,819
- 28,467
I'm a fan of highly jab Selassie.WWGD said:My Ethiopian friend is highly Selassie.
Klystron
Gold Member
- 1,264
- 1,980
I know her brother, Timothy. Friends call him Timmy Selassie.
[Edit: From "Lassie, Come Home". Timmy's father, "Lassie, have you seen Timmy?]
[Edit: From "Lassie, Come Home". Timmy's father, "Lassie, have you seen Timmy?]
Last edited:
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
- 3,447
- 3,743
I think I've done that before, on purpose, for some reason or another (I don't remember the details).WWGD said:Weird how one here in PF may report one's own post.
Hitting the report button is a good way to get the mentors' attention on a subject, if you need their input or guidance, even if no bad behavior is necessarily involved.
Similar threads
- DJeffs
- · Replies 15 ·
- STEM Career Guidance
- Replies
- 15
- Cait
- · Replies 1 ·
- Astronomy, Astrophysics, Cosmology
- Replies
- 1
- Replies
- 2