What is the output voltage amplitude from the amplifier in the given circuit?

In summary: If we label the node at the positive terminal of the opamp Vb, then the output of the opamp is Vout = B (Vin +Va) --> Vb = Vin + Vout/B. So if we want to calculate the output voltage, we simply take the difference of these two values, which in this case is 9mV. In summary, the output voltage amplitude from the amplifier is 9mV.
luigihs
The circuit in the figure is driven by a 9 mV amplitude signal generator with
an output impedance of 2 kΩ. What is the output voltage amplitude from the amplifier?

lab3.jpg

So what I did basically is use the formula Vout = -R2/R1 x Vin
So.. I know Vin is 0.9 V (9mv) and R2 = 12 R1 = 1 that gives me 12 x 0.9 = -10.8V what do you thin guys?

Physics news on Phys.org
9mV is not 0.9V. a millivolt is a THOUSANDTH of a volt.

You should perform a circuit analysis on the given circuit; the formula you're using for gain does not apply to this particular configuration.

ok so which formula do I have to use? cause I was looking at my teachers notes and this the only thing I find similar

Don't use a formula, figure it out -- it will improve your understanding greatly.

You've got an ideal op amp there. They have huge (ideally infinite gain). If that's the case, what can you say about the difference in voltage between the - and + terminals of the op amp? This is what they call the virtual ground approximation.

MmMMmM this is really hard for me I struggling a lot but I think is 9mV it doesn't have any resistor affecting before the Vout but I am not sure at all :/ there is no way using a formula or something like that?

luigihs said:
MmMMmM this is really hard for me I struggling a lot but I think is 9mV it doesn't have any resistor affecting before the Vout but I am not sure at all :/ there is no way using a formula or something like that?

You won't be able to memorize all the formulas that will suit every possible configuration. You need to be able to derive them "on the spot" by analyzing the circuits.

Ideal op-amps allow you to use some very handy simplifications to help in the analysis. For example, an ideal op-amp has essentially infinite input resistance at its input terminals (no current drawn by the op-amp terminals), and if there's a feedback path from the output to the - input, the op-amp will try to adjust the output voltage to drive the potential difference between its two inputs to zero.

is open notebook test lol is why the teacher wants to show us the work and I still not understanding what is the answer ? is not -10.8 V?

No, it's not -10.8V.

So I am still stuck I don't know how to do this what formula can I apply? can you please explain me

The circuit in the figure is driven by a 9 mV amplitude signal generator with
an output impedance of 2 kΩ. What is the output voltage amplitude from the amplifier?

Provided the opamp has infinite input impedance, you can disregard the output impedance variable. The rest should be a classical textbook example. However, if the opamp had its output impedance equal to 2 kΩ, the result would certainly be different.

luigihs said:
So I am still stuck I don't know how to do this what formula can I apply? can you please explain me

KVL. KCL, Ohm's law... the usual circuit analysis methods. Take advantage of the op-amp characteristics. Start by labeling the circuit with known quantities, then calculate currents and potentials...

luigihs said:
MmMMmM this is really hard for me I struggling a lot but I think is 9mV it doesn't have any resistor affecting before the Vout but I am not sure at all :/

The op-amp places some constraints on the circuit. An ideal op amp has infinite gain, no current flowing into its inputs and zero output impedance.

If we label the node at the negative terminal of the opamp Va, then the output of the opamp is Vout = A (Vin -Va) --> Va = Vin - Vout/A . where A is the amplifier gain. If this opamp is ideal, its gain is infinite so what can you say about Va? This is called the virtual short circuit and from now on you will be able to take this shortcut when you see an ideal opamp. Note that it's called virtual because a real short circuit would allow current to pass between the two points.

1. What is output voltage amplitude?

Output voltage amplitude refers to the maximum voltage that can be measured or detected at the output of a circuit or device. It is typically measured in volts (V) and is an important parameter in determining the performance of electronic systems.

2. How is output voltage amplitude calculated?

Output voltage amplitude is calculated by measuring the peak-to-peak voltage, which is the difference between the highest and lowest voltages in an oscillating signal. This value is then divided by 2 to get the amplitude.

3. What factors affect output voltage amplitude?

Output voltage amplitude can be affected by several factors such as the input voltage, the components used in the circuit, and the frequency of the input signal. It is also influenced by the gain of the amplifier and any external loads connected to the output.

4. Why is output voltage amplitude important?

Output voltage amplitude is important because it determines the strength of the signal that is being transmitted or received. It also affects the overall performance and accuracy of electronic systems and can impact the functionality of devices that rely on specific voltage levels.

5. How can output voltage amplitude be adjusted?

Output voltage amplitude can be adjusted by changing the input voltage, adjusting the gain of the amplifier, or adding external components such as resistors or capacitors to the circuit. It is important to carefully consider the specifications and requirements of the system before making any adjustments to the output voltage amplitude.