1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the probability that the temperature will drop

1. Dec 13, 2006 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Meteorologists expect rapid temperature drop in the following 48 hours. What is the probability that the temperature drop will occur between 15:45 and 24:00?

3. The attempt at a solution

I can't find out, what distribution is suitable for this kind of problem...Would someone please point me to the right distribution?

Thank you.

Best regards,
    Standa

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 13, 2006 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If that's all you are given, you can only assume a uniform distribution over the 48 hours. My question is whether "between 15:45 and 24:00" applies to both days.

4. Dec 14, 2006 #3
    Thank you HallsoftIvy, after a while I also assumed it to be uniform distribution. Whether the 15.45 - 24.00 interval applies to both days remains unsaid, good question, however, it didn't come to my mind.

5. Dec 14, 2006 #4
    As it appears to me, the question quote from book entirely should mention to both days.

6. Dec 14, 2006 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I agree. Thought we ought to leave something for twoflower to think about!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?