What is the probability that the temperature will drop

In summary, meteorologists are predicting a rapid temperature drop in the next 48 hours and there is uncertainty over which distribution is suitable for estimating the probability of this drop occurring between 15:45 and 24:00. Some suggest a uniform distribution, but it is unclear if the given time interval applies to both days.
twoflower

Homework Statement

Meteorologists expect rapid temperature drop in the following 48 hours. What is the probability that the temperature drop will occur between 15:45 and 24:00?

The Attempt at a Solution

I can't find out, what distribution is suitable for this kind of problem...Would someone please point me to the right distribution?

Thank you.

Standa

Physics news on Phys.org
If that's all you are given, you can only assume a uniform distribution over the 48 hours. My question is whether "between 15:45 and 24:00" applies to both days.

HallsofIvy said:
If that's all you are given, you can only assume a uniform distribution over the 48 hours. My question is whether "between 15:45 and 24:00" applies to both days.

Thank you HallsoftIvy, after a while I also assumed it to be uniform distribution. Whether the 15.45 - 24.00 interval applies to both days remains unsaid, good question, however, it didn't come to my mind.

As it appears to me, the question quote from book entirely should mention to both days.

I agree. Thought we ought to leave something for twoflower to think about!

1. What factors affect the probability of the temperature dropping?

The probability of the temperature dropping is affected by various factors such as the current weather conditions, time of year, location, and the presence of high or low pressure systems.

2. Is it possible to accurately predict the probability of the temperature dropping?

While scientists use advanced models and data to predict weather patterns, it is not always possible to accurately predict the probability of the temperature dropping. This is because weather is a complex system and can be influenced by many variables.

3. How reliable are weather forecasts in predicting the probability of the temperature dropping?

Weather forecasts are based on the latest data and technology and are constantly improving. However, they are not always 100% accurate and can change as weather patterns shift. Therefore, it is important to check for updates and use forecasts as a guide rather than a definitive prediction.

4. Can the probability of the temperature dropping be affected by climate change?

Climate change can impact weather patterns and lead to more extreme temperatures, including drops in temperature. However, the exact probability of temperature drops due to climate change is difficult to determine and can vary depending on location and other factors.

5. How can we prepare for the probability of the temperature dropping?

It is important to stay informed about weather forecasts and have a plan in place for potential temperature drops. This can include having appropriate clothing and supplies on hand, as well as staying updated on any weather warnings or advisories in your area.