What is the Speed of a Falling Object Attached to a Rotating Spherical Shell?

In summary, a spherical shell rotating on frictionless bearings with a light cord attached to a falling object can have its speed calculated using the work-energy theorem by setting the gravitational potential energy of the object equal to the kinetic energy of the object plus the rotational kinetic energy of the shell and pulley. The moment of inertia for the pulley is given and the equations used for the sphere can also be applied for the disk. The final answer is obtained by setting the equations equal to each other and solving for the speed of the falling object. However, it is important to note that the moment of inertia for the pulley is not the mass, but rather a separate variable.
CoreanJesus

Homework Statement

A uniform spherical shell rotates about a vertical axis on frictionless bearings. A light cord passes around the equator of the shell, over a light, frictionless pulley, and is attached to a small object that is otherwise free to fall under the influence of gravity. Calculate the speed of the object after is has fallen a distance h from rest. Use the work-energy theorem.
a>

2woiith-png.png

2woiiTh

2woiiTh

Homework Equations

2woiiTh

Well the Work-energy Theorem :P and the Rotational Inertia for a Sphere and disk

The Attempt at a Solution

So assuming that the rotational inertia is given, I used the right equations but one step confuses me. I set the Gravitational potential energy of block m equal to the kinetic energy of the block m, rotational kinetic energy of M and I.
To take into account the kinetic energy of the disk, I tried to do the same thing I did for the sphere but it didn't work. Am I missing something?
The answer is
ffZLnox.png

Attachments

• 2woiith-png.png
    2woiith-png.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,781
  • ffZLnox.png
    ffZLnox.png
    2.4 KB · Views: 1,592
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The images do not show.
Are the masses of the sphere, pulley, and the falling object given?

Likes CoreanJesus
No all variables
and the link should work... (hopefully)

This is the figure (just copy and paste)
2woiiTh.png

Determine the speed of the falling object in terms of the mass and radius of the sphere, the moment of inertia and radius of the pulley and the mass of the falling object. You have to know how the linear speed of the falling object is related to the angular speeds of the sphere and pulley.

Attachments

• 2woiiTh.png
    2woiiTh.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 1,918
Likes CoreanJesus
mgh=1/2 I(s)*w^2 + 1/2 I(p)*w^2 + 1/2 mv^2 right?

CoreanJesus said:
mgh=1/2 I(s)*w^2 + 1/2 I(p)*w^2 + 1/2 mv^2 right?
Not quite. The string moves with certain linear velocity, and it does not slip neither on the pulley nor on the sphere. So the linear speed of the perimeters is the same as the speed of the falling object, but the angular speeds are different. How is the angular speed and linear speed related?

V=rW?

CoreanJesus said:
V=rW?
Yes, V=radius times ω. The radius of the sphere is R, that of the pulley is r.

But the answer that I get using this method is wrong...
I don't get 3I as the denominator

CoreanJesus said:
The given answer can be wrong. What did you get?

CoreanJesus said:
I get the given answer. Please post your working.

CoreanJesus said:
3I is not the denominator. What did you use as the moment of inertia for the spherical shell?

ehild said:
3I is not the denominator. What did you use as the moment of inertia for the spherical shell?
I assumed CoreanJ meant 3I in the denominator.

So I set mgh=1/2 I(s)*w^2 + 1/2 I(p)*w^2 + 1/2 mv^2
So mgh=(1/2)(2/3)mR^2(V/R)^2 + (1/2)(1/2)(IR^2)(V/R)^2 + (1/2)mV^2
Simplifying 6mgh=2mV^2 + (3/2)IV^2 + 3mV^2 And I know that this can't simplify into the proper answer...
Why does r remain for the kinetic energy of the the disk as I'm assuming that must be the case for the answer to be what it is... And what is wrong with my equation for the inertia for a pulley? is it not a solid disk?

CoreanJesus said:
(2/3)mR^2
M, not m.
CoreanJesus said:
(1/2)(IR^2)
I is the moment of inertia of the pulley, not the mass.
Also, you have the wrong angular speed for the pulley. The radius is r, not R.

Wait WHAT? so the I that's given by the pulley is the inertia given to you?

CoreanJesus said:
Wait WHAT? so the I that's given by the pulley is the inertia given to you?
Yes. You do not know its mass, or whether it is a uniform disk.
Also note the edit I just made at the end of my previous post.

Well... That makes this problem easier and solvable :P Thank you for the clarification!

CoreanJesus said:
Well... That makes this problem easier and solvable :P Thank you for the clarification!
Ok.
The question statement should have made it clear, but the use of the symbol I was a clue, and dimensional analysis of the supposed answer makes it certain.

1. What is a 3-D rotation problem?

A 3-D rotation problem refers to the challenge of rotating an object or image in three-dimensional space. This can involve changing the orientation of the object along different axes, such as x, y, and z.

2. How is a 3-D rotation problem solved?

A 3-D rotation problem can be solved using mathematical formulas and algorithms. These can involve calculating the rotation matrix, which represents the transformation of the object's coordinates, and using trigonometric functions to determine the rotation angles.

3. What are the applications of 3-D rotation problems?

3-D rotation problems are commonly used in computer graphics and animation, as well as in fields such as robotics and engineering. They are also important in virtual reality and gaming, where objects and scenes need to be rotated in a realistic manner.

4. What are some common challenges in solving 3-D rotation problems?

One of the main challenges in solving 3-D rotation problems is dealing with multiple rotation axes and determining the correct order of rotations. Another challenge is avoiding distortion or shearing of the object during rotation.

5. Are there any tools or software available to help with 3-D rotation problems?

Yes, there are various software programs and libraries specifically designed for solving 3-D rotation problems. These include 3-D modeling and animation software, as well as programming languages and libraries with built-in functions for 3-D transformations.