What is the speed of the crate when it reaches the bottom?

• Thread starter physx_420
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, to find the speed of a 20.0-kg crate sliding down an inclined plane with a height of 3.00-m and a length of 20.0-m, you can use the equation V=sqrt(2*g*H), where V is the speed, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and H is the height of the plane. This equation is derived from the conservation of energy principle, assuming that there is no friction. The mass of the crate is not a factor in determining the speed.
physx_420

Homework Statement

A 20.0-kg crate slides down an inclined plane that is 3.00-m high and 20.0-m long. If friction is negligible, what is the speed of the crate when it reaches the bottom of the plane?

Homework Equations

W= F*D
K= 1/2 m*(v^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

They don't give me an angle so I'm not sure how I'm supposed to go about solving for the force parallel to the inclined plane. Once I have that I'll be able to finish out the problem. Help please!
(The answer turns out to be 7.67 m/s; I just need to know how to get there)

Physics news on Phys.org
Just use conservation of energy. You have gravitational potential energy in the beginning. Don't bother with the work [tex]W=FD[/tex].

Ahhh, ok I see. Thanks a lot N-gin!

The 20 M long is not needed for this problem because the friction is assumed to be zero. No energy is lost in friction and so M*g*H = (1/2)*M*V^2

So V = sqrt(2*g*H)

So the velocity is independent of the Mass!

If you had friction, then still mass is irrelevant.

I would first clarify any missing information in the problem. Since the angle of the inclined plane is not given, I would assume that it is a frictionless, horizontal plane. In this case, the force parallel to the inclined plane would be equal to the force of gravity acting on the crate, which is calculated using the formula F=mg.

Using this information, we can then determine the work done by the force of gravity on the crate as it slides down the inclined plane. This can be calculated using the formula W=Fd, where F is the force of gravity and d is the distance traveled.

Next, we can use the work-energy theorem, which states that the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. In this case, the work done by gravity is equal to the change in kinetic energy of the crate. We can use the formula K=1/2mv^2 to calculate the kinetic energy of the crate at the bottom of the inclined plane.

Setting these two equations equal to each other and solving for v, we can find the speed of the crate when it reaches the bottom of the plane. This calculation gives us a speed of 7.67 m/s, as stated in the problem.

In conclusion, the speed of the crate when it reaches the bottom of the inclined plane is 7.67 m/s, assuming a frictionless, horizontal plane.

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of the crate when it reaches the bottom?

The formula for calculating speed is speed = distance/time. In this case, the distance would be the height of the crate and the time it takes to reach the bottom would be the time it takes to fall.

2. Does the mass of the crate affect its speed when it reaches the bottom?

Yes, the mass of an object does affect its speed when it falls. The heavier the object, the faster it will fall because it experiences a greater force of gravity.

3. How does air resistance affect the speed of the crate when it reaches the bottom?

Air resistance can affect the speed of an object, but it depends on the shape and size of the object. If the crate is streamlined, it will experience less air resistance and fall faster. However, if the crate is large and has a lot of surface area, air resistance may slow it down.

4. Is the speed of the crate constant as it falls to the bottom?

No, the speed of the crate is not constant as it falls to the bottom. It will start at 0 m/s and accelerate due to the force of gravity until it reaches its maximum speed, also known as terminal velocity. This is when the force of gravity is balanced by air resistance and the object falls at a constant speed.

5. Can the speed of the crate be faster or slower depending on the location it is dropped from?

Yes, the speed of the crate will vary depending on the height it is dropped from. The higher the starting point, the longer the crate has to accelerate and the faster it will fall. However, this assumes that air resistance and other factors remain constant.