What is the tension equation for masses connected by a cord?

In summary: F_{x} = 0 (7) Since the x-direction is the only direction of motion, the net force in that direction must be zero. (1) There is no friction between the blocks and whatever they are resting on. (2) If the 50N force pulling the right block is constant, then there shouldn't be any acceleration.
Caitlin Galla

Homework Statement

There is a 1.0 kg block on the left connected by a cord to a 2.5kg block on the right.
If this is being pulled from the right by a 50n force. What is the tension on the cord connecting the two masses.
There is also a small 2.0kg block in front of the 1.0 kg block that is not attached to the cord.
But if the blocks are pulled the 2.0 kg block will have to go with it.

Homework Equations

I found the acceleration of this system to be 9.1 m/s2.

I just need to find the tension equation to use for this problem.
Any ideas? Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Caitlin Galla said:

Homework Statement

There is a 1.0 kg block on the left connected by a cord to a 2.5kg block on the right.
If this is being pulled from the right by a 50n force. What is the tension on the cord connecting the two masses.
There is also a small 2.0kg block in front of the 1.0 kg block that is not attached to the cord.
But if the blocks are pulled the 2.0 kg block will have to go with it.

Homework Equations

I found the acceleration of this system to be 9.1 m/s2.

I just need to find the tension equation to use for this problem.
Any ideas? Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Try the following approach:
1) What is the net force on the block on the 2.5 kg block?
2) What forces are directly acting on the 2.5 kg block?

Answer these questions and I think it should be clear how to procede

Caitlin Galla said:
this is a picture. it still seems unclear to me. i thought the net force was 50 N . Is that not the net force?

[img=http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/9350/blocksun4.gif]

50 N is the net force acting on the blocks system, but it isn't the net force acting on the single block. To get that you will need to look at the acceleration of the block. Essentially you will need F = m a.

so if i use the mass of the block as 2.5 and times that by calculated acceleration it would be 2.5 x 9.1= 22.75. would that be the force acting on the single block? And it still isn't clear to me where to go from here.

Caitlin Galla said:
so if i use the mass of the block as 2.5 and times that by calculated acceleration it would be 2.5 x 9.1= 22.75. would that be the force acting on the single block? And it still isn't clear to me where to go from here.

Alright we have the net force, this is equivalent to the sum of all of the forces acting on the block. Now we need only list the forces acting on the block. Set up an algebraic expression like: [tex] 22.75 N = F_{Tension}+F_{Other Force}[/tex] where the other forces are known and solve for [tex]F_{Tension}[/tex]

which other forces are included here? is that just the known 50 N of force on the whole system?

Caitlin Galla said:
which other forces are included here? is that just the known 50 N of force on the whole system?

Bingo The only other force that could be acting is the 50 N pull

I have two questions for you:
(1) Is there any friction between the blocks and whatever they are resting on?
(2) If the 50N force pulling the right block is constant, then there shouldn't be
any acceleration.

I would approach this problem by first labeling all of the forces. If I understand correctly, all the blocks are resting on a frictionless table. Therefore, the sum of all forces in the y direction is zero. You then set a direction of motion as positive and the opposite direction as negative. In this case, it makes sense to set motion to the right as the +x direction. Since the force that the 1kg box exerts on the 2kg box is equal to the force that the 2kg box exerts on the 1kg box, there is no net force you have to worry about regarding the two boxes to the left. Therefore, your equation for the sum of all forces in the x direction will be
F(net)=ma
F(net)= F(pull)-F(tension)
F(pull)-F(tension)=ma=0
F(pull)= F(tension)= 50N

thanks so much. i am just struggling with physics a lot more than any other science class i have taken. i appreciate the help!

w3390 said:
I have two questions for you:
(1) Is there any friction between the blocks and whatever they are resting on?
(2) If the 50N force pulling the right block is constant, then there shouldn't be
any acceleration.

I would approach this problem by first labeling all of the forces. If I understand correctly, all the blocks are resting on a frictionless table. Therefore, the sum of all forces in the y direction is zero. You then set a direction of motion as positive and the opposite direction as negative. In this case, it makes sense to set motion to the right as the +x direction. Since the force that the 1kg box exerts on the 2kg box is equal to the force that the 2kg box exerts on the 1kg box, there is no net force you have to worry about regarding the two boxes to the left. Therefore, your equation for the sum of all forces in the x direction will be
F(net)=ma
F(net)= F(pull)-F(tension)
F(pull)-F(tension)=ma=0
F(pull)= F(tension)= 50N
Err... the block definitely accelerates, a constant force definitely means a constant acceleration...

Related to What is the tension equation for masses connected by a cord?

1. What is tension between two masses?

Tension between two masses is a force that exists when two objects are connected by a string, rope, or other flexible material. It is a pulling force that is exerted by the objects in opposite directions.

2. How is tension calculated?

Tension can be calculated using the formula T = mg, where T is the tension in Newtons, m is the mass of the object in kilograms, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2). This formula assumes that the tension is constant and that the objects are not accelerating.

3. What factors affect the tension between two masses?

The tension between two masses is affected by the mass of the objects, the distance between them, and the force of gravity. Other factors that can affect tension include the elasticity of the string or rope and the presence of other forces acting on the objects.

4. How does tension affect the motion of the objects?

Tension is a force that can cause objects to accelerate or decelerate depending on the direction of the tension. If the tension is greater than the force of gravity, the objects will accelerate towards each other. If the tension is less than the force of gravity, the objects will decelerate and move further apart.

5. Can tension be negative?

No, tension cannot be negative. It is a vector quantity that only has a magnitude and direction. Negative tension would imply that the objects are being pushed away from each other, which is not possible as tension is a pulling force.