1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

What is the |vector A-vector B|

1. Sep 14, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

vector A: ------>
    vector B; <----------

choices are:

A) Vector A-vector B
    B) A-B
    C) Vector B-vector A
    D) B-A
    E) Vector A + vector B
    F) A+B
    G) |vector B- Vector A|

I think the answer is D, but im not sure. Also I think there is more than one answer. Can you guys please help me out. Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 14, 2008 #2

alphysicist

Homework Helper

If I'm interpreting everything correctly, then D would be an answer. I do believe there is another true answer; what do you think it is, and why?

4. Sep 15, 2008 #3
    well, you have to line vector A on top of vector B and then perform the subtraction and you'll see that the resulting vector would look like :
    vector A: ----->
    vector B: <----------
    answer :
    <-----

5. Sep 15, 2008 #4

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Right; and how is that resulting vector that you found related to what they are asking for in the problem?

6. Sep 15, 2008 #5
    im gonna take a guess and say its B. if not could you please explain what the answer is? Thanks

7. Sep 15, 2008 #6

alphysicist

Homework Helper

The answer B is not correct because it would be a negative number; choice B says to subtract the length of [itex]\vec B[/itex] from the length of [itex]\vec A[/itex]. Since [itex]\vec A[/itex] is shorter [itex]\vec B[/itex], then choice B is a negative number.

But [itex] |\vec A-\vec B|[/itex] is a magnitude and therefore positive.

For the remember that the quantity you are looking for is a positive number, not a vector, and is the magnitude of the difference of the vectors. (I cannot give out answers here as that would violate forum rules.)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?