What is the |vector A-vector B|

• Thread starter s31t8n8
  • Start date
In summary, the correct answer for the given problem is G) |vector B- Vector A|, which is the magnitude of the difference between the two vectors. Choice D) B-A is also a possible answer, but it gives the direction of the resulting vector rather than its magnitude.
s31t8n8

Homework Statement

vector A: ------>
vector B; <----------

choices are:

A) Vector A-vector B
B) A-B
C) Vector B-vector A
D) B-A
E) Vector A + vector B
F) A+B
G) |vector B- Vector A|

I think the answer is D, but I am not sure. Also I think there is more than one answer. Can you guys please help me out. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
s31t8n8 said:

Homework Statement

vector A: ------>
vector B; <----------

choices are:

A) Vector A-vector B
B) A-B
C) Vector B-vector A
D) B-A
E) Vector A + vector B
F) A+B
G) |vector B- Vector A|

I think the answer is D, but I am not sure. Also I think there is more than one answer. Can you guys please help me out. Thanks.

If I'm interpreting everything correctly, then D would be an answer. I do believe there is another true answer; what do you think it is, and why?

well, you have to line vector A on top of vector B and then perform the subtraction and you'll see that the resulting vector would look like :
vector A: ----->
vector B: <----------
answer :
<-----

louie3006 said:
well, you have to line vector A on top of vector B and then perform the subtraction and you'll see that the resulting vector would look like :
vector A: ----->
vector B: <----------
answer :
<-----

Right; and how is that resulting vector that you found related to what they are asking for in the problem?

alphysicist said:
If I'm interpreting everything correctly, then D would be an answer. I do believe there is another true answer; what do you think it is, and why?

im going to take a guess and say its B. if not could you please explain what the answer is? Thanks

s31t8n8 said:
im going to take a guess and say its B. if not could you please explain what the answer is? Thanks

The answer B is not correct because it would be a negative number; choice B says to subtract the length of [itex]\vec B[/itex] from the length of [itex]\vec A[/itex]. Since [itex]\vec A[/itex] is shorter [itex]\vec B[/itex], then choice B is a negative number.

But [itex] |\vec A-\vec B|[/itex] is a magnitude and therefore positive.

For the remember that the quantity you are looking for is a positive number, not a vector, and is the magnitude of the difference of the vectors. (I cannot give out answers here as that would violate forum rules.)

Last edited:

What is the |vector A-vector B|?

The |vector A-vector B| is the magnitude or length of the vector that is obtained by subtracting vector B from vector A. It represents the distance between the two vectors in terms of their direction and magnitude.

How is the |vector A-vector B| calculated?

The |vector A-vector B| is calculated by finding the difference between the components of vector A and vector B, and then using the Pythagorean theorem to find the magnitude of the resulting vector.

What does the |vector A-vector B| represent?

The |vector A-vector B| represents the distance between vector A and vector B, taking into account both their direction and magnitude. It can also be interpreted as the magnitude of the resulting vector when vector B is subtracted from vector A.

Can the |vector A-vector B| be negative?

Yes, the |vector A-vector B| can be negative if the resulting vector is in the opposite direction of the original vectors. This can happen when vector B is larger than vector A or when they are pointing in opposite directions.

How does the |vector A-vector B| relate to vector addition?

The |vector A-vector B| is related to vector addition through the parallelogram rule. This rule states that the magnitude of the resulting vector when two vectors are added is equal to the diagonal of the parallelogram formed by the two vectors. Therefore, the |vector A-vector B| can be calculated using the components of vector A and vector B, or by adding them together and finding the magnitude of the resulting vector.