What is the Velocity of Point P in a Multiple Pulleys System?

In summary, a block B moving at a constant velocity of 30 cm/s to the right causes a point P to move at a velocity of 60 cm/s to the right, as the top string increases in length and P moves twice the distance of B in the same amount of time.
Quantum Mind

Homework Statement

The block B moves to the right with a constant velocity of 30 cm/s. Given this, which of the following is correct:

1. Speed of block A is 15 cm/s
2. Speed of point P is 60 cm/s
3. Speed of point P is 30 cm/s
4. Speed of block A is 40 cm/s

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. May be I will have to take each block separately, but I do not know the mass of either A or B nor the velocity of B.

http://www.pictureshack.us/images/346Q.png

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Mind said:

Homework Statement

The block B moves to the right with a constant velocity of 30 cm/s. Given this, which of the following is correct:

1. Speed of block A is 15 cm/s
2. Speed of point P is 60 cm/s
3. Speed of point P is 30 cm/s
4. Speed of block A is 40 cm/s

Homework Equations

Fnet = ma ?

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know where to start. May be I will have to take each block separately, but I do not know the mass of either A or B nor the velocity of B.

346Q.png

Put a few words in red to draw your attention to them.

The velocity of A is uniform and in the same direction, 30 cm/s to the right and therefore the acceleration is zero. Since acceleration is constant throughout the system, B should also move with uniform velocity (a = 0).

F = W = ma. Since a is zero, does this mean no work is done? How do I find the velocity of the block A or the point P?

Quantum Mind said:
The velocity of A is uniform and in the same direction, 30 cm/s to the right and therefore the acceleration is zero. Since acceleration is constant throughout the system, B should also move with uniform velocity (a = 0).

F = W = ma. Since a is zero, does this mean no work is done? How do I find the velocity of the block A or the point P?

This problem has nothing to do with Force, Work, Acceleration, mass or friction. It is all about speed -thus the distance traveled each unit of time.

In a short period of time, B will move 3 cm to the right [it is traveling at 30 cm/sec]
What happens to the length of the top string while that happens?
Where does that extra string come from or go to?
How far will P and A move in that same time then?

Given the options, you can hope that P moves either 6 or 3 cm, Or A moves 1.5 cm or 4 cm.
More importantly, only one of those had better happen or there is more than one correct answer.

I think the point P should also move with the same velocity as block B as the string at the top increases in length. I thought the answer would be choice (3), i.e. 30 cm/s, but apparently this is wrong and the answer is given as (2), i.e. 60 cm/s. This has me confused.

Quantum Mind said:
I think the point P should also move with the same velocity as block B as the string at the top increases in length. I thought the answer would be choice (3), i.e. 30 cm/s, but apparently this is wrong and the answer is given as (2), i.e. 60 cm/s. This has me confused.

If you put a reference point on the top string - call it Q - and consider the 3 cm move I suggested then ...

Q will be 3 cm further from the top pulley [Q is tied to the wall and the pulley is tied to B, which has moved 3 cm to the right].

That means the top string is 3 cm longer that it was.

That can only happen if 3 cm of string passes around the top pulley.

That will mean P moves 3 cm closer to the pulley; a pulley that has moved 3 cm.

Thus point P must have moved a total of 6 cm; meaning P is traveling at twice the speed of B - so 60cm/sec.

I get it now, thanks.

Related to What is the Velocity of Point P in a Multiple Pulleys System?

1. How do multiple pulleys affect the mechanical advantage of a system?

Multiple pulleys can increase the mechanical advantage of a system by reducing the amount of force needed to lift a load. The more pulleys in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage.

2. What is the difference between a fixed pulley and a movable pulley in a multiple pulley system?

A fixed pulley does not change the direction of the force, but a movable pulley does. This means that a movable pulley can reduce the amount of force needed to lift a load compared to a fixed pulley.

3. How do you calculate the mechanical advantage of a multiple pulley system?

The mechanical advantage of a multiple pulley system is calculated by dividing the weight of the load by the force needed to lift it. The more pulleys in the system, the greater the mechanical advantage.

4. Can multiple pulleys ever decrease the effectiveness of a system?

In theory, multiple pulleys can decrease the effectiveness of a system if they are not set up properly or if there is too much friction in the pulley system. However, in most cases, multiple pulleys are used to increase the effectiveness of a system.

5. What are some real-life applications of multiple pulleys?

Multiple pulleys are commonly used in elevators, cranes, and other heavy lifting equipment. They are also used in exercise machines, sailing boats, and zip lines.