Final Velocity of Two Objects After Collision

In summary, when two objects collide and stick together, their final velocity can be determined using the conservation of momentum principle. For a rocket ship, the initial momentum of the combined rocket and fuel is equal to the final momentum of just the rocket and the final momentum of just the fuel. This can be simplified to account for the fact that the rocket and fuel are initially traveling at the same velocity, but direction must also be considered.
km
Need help determining the following:

A 50kg object moving at 20 m/s collides with a 10-kg object moving at 5 m/s. They stick together and move off together. What is their final velocity?

I know how to determine this if one object was stationary, but in this problem, both are moving. Help! 6th grade science problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Conservation of Momentum. New object has mass of 60kg. If they are moving along the same axis - the calculation would be really simple

Still need to know what the final velocity is and what formula to use to get the answer.

km

Does your textbook tell you about anything in regards to conservation of momentum? Take a guess as to what the formula is...

I'm trying to guide you through it, and not just give you the answer...

km said:
Need help determining the following:

A 50kg object moving at 20 m/s collides with a 10-kg object moving at 5 m/s. They stick together and move off together. What is their final velocity?

I know how to determine this if one object was stationary, but in this problem, both are moving. Help! 6th grade science problem

Use the same principle as when one object is initially stationary, but apply a more generalized formula:

[tex]\vec{p}_{initial}=\vec{p}_{final}[/tex]
[tex](m_{1}\vec{v}_{1})_{initial}+(m_{2}\vec{v}_{2})_{initial}=(m_{1}\vec{v}_{1})_{final}+(m_{2}\vec{v}_{2})_{final}[/tex]

Can you go from there?

Never mine I think I got it.

Answer is 10m/s. I hope.

Thanks anyway.

km

That is incorrect. Can you show us your work?

First I determined the total momentum:
(5 kg x 20 m/s) + (10kg x 5 m/s) = 150 kg.ms

then determined velocity:
150kg.m/s = (5kg + 10kg) x velocity
10 m/s = velocity

this is what is in my textbook but there were no examples of both objects moving

The original question you posted says one mass is 50 kg. If it is 5 kg, as the latest version of the problem states above, you are correct, assuming both objects are initially traveling in the same direction.

OOPS! My mistake. Yes, the first object is 5-kg. Sorry for the mix-up on original posting. Thank you for letting me know this was correct!

Since you mentioned Conservation of momentum earlier, I also have another question I am working on that I am having trouble with as my textbook does not talk about rocketships!

The question is: How do you explain conservation of momentum when a rocket ship takes off?

What I have found on the internet so far says stuff about the the rocket ship pushing on the fuel and the fuel pushing on the rocket ship but I don't understand!

Momentum is conserved when we take the movement of a rocket ship with no fricitonal forces, etc.
[tex]\vec{p}_{initial}=\vec{p}_{final}[/tex]
[tex](m_{r}\vec{v}_{r})_{initial}+(m_{f}\vec{v}_{f})_{initial}=(m_{r}\vec{v}_{r})_{final}+(m_{f}\vec{v}_{f})_{final}[/tex]
where r is rocket (w/o fuel) and f is fuel. Since the rocket and fuel are initially traveling at the same velocity (before the engine is engaged), we can simplify this to:
[tex](m_{(r+f)}\vec{v}_{(r+f)})_{initial}=(m_{r}\vec{v}_{r})_{final}+(m_{f}\vec{v}_{f})_{final}[/tex]
Keep in mind that velocity and momentum are vectors here, so we need to consider direction. If we are speaking of linear displacement, we can simply define opposite directions as positive and negative; in that case, watch your signs!

1. What is final velocity?

Final velocity is the velocity of an object at the end of a given time interval. It takes into account both the object's initial velocity and any acceleration it may have experienced during that time.

2. How is final velocity calculated?

Final velocity can be calculated using the equation v = u + at, where v is the final velocity, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time interval. This equation is known as the kinematic equation for final velocity.

3. What factors can affect an object's final velocity?

The final velocity of an object can be affected by its initial velocity, acceleration, and mass. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and gravity may also play a role in determining the final velocity of an object.

4. Can an object have a final velocity of zero?

Yes, an object can have a final velocity of zero if its initial velocity is also zero and there is no acceleration acting on it. This means that the object is either at rest or moving at a constant speed.

5. How does final velocity relate to an object's kinetic energy?

Final velocity is directly related to an object's kinetic energy. The kinetic energy of an object is equal to half of its mass multiplied by the square of its velocity. This means that as an object's final velocity increases, its kinetic energy also increases.