What technique of integration to use here?

• Thread starter shawshank
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary, the conversation discusses different techniques of integration and how to determine which one to use for a given problem. Indefinite integration and definite integration are explained, with the former resulting in a function and the latter in a numerical value. The use of substitution is also mentioned for simplifying integrals with nested functions or variables raised to a power. Integration by parts is described as a technique for integrating the product of two functions. The best way to improve integration skills is through practice and reviewing the different techniques.
shawshank
hey, this isn't really a homework problem but I have this integral that I can't solve cause i haven't studied techniques of integration.

Any suggesstions

[tex]\int[/tex][tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{12x+0.02x^2}}[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
First you want to complete the square inside of the square root. You'll get something like a*(x+b)^2-c. Then do a trig substitution like c*sec(u)^2=a*(x+b)^2. Try it.

What technique of integration to use here?

The most frequently asked question about integration is how to determine which technique to use for a given problem. There is no one-size-fits-all approach, and the choice of technique will depend on the form of the function being integrated.

What is the difference between indefinite and definite integration?

Indefinite integration is the process of finding a general solution to an integral, while definite integration is finding a specific value for an integral over a given interval. In other words, indefinite integration results in a function, while definite integration results in a numerical value.

How do I know when to use substitution?

Substitution is a commonly used technique in integration, particularly for functions that contain nested functions or variables raised to a power. It involves replacing a variable with a new expression in order to simplify the integral. Substitution is often a good choice when the integral contains a function and its derivative.

What is integration by parts?

Integration by parts is another commonly used technique that allows you to integrate the product of two functions. It involves using the product rule in reverse, and can be useful for integrating functions that contain a product of functions that do not have an obvious antiderivative.

What is the best way to practice and improve my integration skills?

The best way to improve your integration skills is through practice. Start with simpler integrals and work your way up to more complex ones. You can also try using online resources and textbooks to find a variety of practice problems and solutions. Remember to also review the different techniques and when they are most appropriate to use.