What Type of Mirror Creates an Inverted, Real Image Half the Object's Size?

In summary, the conversation discusses the setup of an equation for a given situation where an object is placed 11 cm from a mirror and the resulting image is half the height of the object, inverted, and real. The conversation also mentions using the equation for magnification to solve the problem.
Phower Power
An object is placed 11 cm from a certain mirror. The image is half the height of the object, inverted, and real.

1/p+1/i=1/f

? Clueless because I don't know how to set up the equation int his kind of situation.

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Phower Power! Welcome to PF! :smile:
Phower Power said:
… I don't know how to set up the equation int his kind of situation.

I don't get it …

I assume you do know how to set it up in some other situation? :confused:

Just do the same, and convert "The image is half the height of the object, inverted, and real" into an equation also.

do you know the equation for magnification?

Nm, I got it! =)

Ho/Hi = magnification

Then I plug it in! Thank you for the clues

I can provide a response to this content by explaining the concepts of reflection and refraction and how they relate to the given situation. Reflection is the bouncing back of light rays when they hit a surface, while refraction is the bending of light as it passes through a medium with a different density.

In this scenario, an object is placed 11 cm away from a mirror. The image produced by the mirror is half the height of the object, inverted, and real. This means that the image is the same size as the object, but appears upside down and can be projected onto a screen. This type of image is called a real image, as opposed to a virtual image which cannot be projected.

To understand the relationship between the object, image, and mirror, we can use the mirror equation: 1/p + 1/i = 1/f, where p is the distance of the object from the mirror, i is the distance of the image from the mirror, and f is the focal length of the mirror. The focal length is the distance from the mirror to its focal point, where parallel light rays converge after being reflected.

In this case, we know that the image is half the height of the object, so i = 1/2p. We also know that the image is real, which means it is on the same side of the mirror as the object. This means that i and p have the same sign in the equation. Substituting these values into the mirror equation, we get 1/p + 2/p = 1/f. Solving for f, we get f = 2p.

Therefore, the focal length of the mirror is equal to twice the distance of the object from the mirror. This information can be useful in determining the size and position of the image produced by the mirror, as well as the magnification of the image. By understanding the principles of reflection and refraction, we can apply mathematical equations to analyze and explain various optical phenomena.

Related to What Type of Mirror Creates an Inverted, Real Image Half the Object's Size?

1. What is the difference between Reflection and Refraction?

Reflection is the change in direction of a wave when it bounces off a surface, whereas refraction is the change in direction and speed of a wave as it passes through a new medium.

2. What is the law of reflection?

The law of reflection states that the incident angle (angle of incoming wave) is equal to the reflected angle (angle of outgoing wave), and both angles are measured from the normal (perpendicular line) to the surface.

3. How does refraction occur?

Refraction occurs when a wave passes through a new medium with a different density, causing the wave to change speed and direction.

4. What is the index of refraction?

The index of refraction is a measure of how much a material can bend light. It is defined as the ratio of the speed of light in a vacuum to the speed of light in the material.

5. How are reflection and refraction used in everyday life?

Reflection and refraction have many practical applications such as in mirrors, lenses, and prisms used in optics, and in everyday objects like glasses and cameras. They are also important in fields like meteorology and seismology for studying the behavior of waves.