What units are BTU compatible with?

• Thread starter mattwkeller
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Btu Units
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the utilization of conservation of energy to find an object's initial velocity. There is confusion regarding the units of work, specifically whether it should be in BTU, Joules, or Calories. The suggestion is made to look up BTUs on the web and to express BTU in foot pounds and mass in slugs when working with feet and pounds.
mattwkeller

Homework Statement

Im given a problem where I am supposed to utilize the concept of conservation of energy to find an object initial velocity. There is a force that works on an object. They give me the amount of work done in BTU and the other units are in lb, ft/sec, ft/sec^2...Then I confused myself and didnt know if BTU and energy equations with these units work together? Usually I would just convert things to metric but my Thermo Prof wants us to keep the units in what they are given as..So is work supposed to be in BTU or Joules or Calories?

Homework Equations

none

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
mattwkeller said:
Usually I would just convert things to metric but my Thermo Prof wants us to keep the units in what they are given as..So is work supposed to be in BTU or Joules or Calories?
If you are working in feet and pounds, express BTU in foot pounds. And mass in slugs.

What units are BTU compatible with?

BTUs (British Thermal Units) are compatible with various units of energy, such as joules, calories, and kilowatt-hours. It can also be converted to other units of power, such as watts and horsepower.

Can BTUs be used to measure temperature?

No, BTUs cannot be used to measure temperature. They are a unit of energy and are commonly used to measure the amount of heat energy needed to raise the temperature of one pound of water by one degree Fahrenheit.

How do I convert BTUs to other units?

To convert BTUs to other units, you will need to use a conversion factor. For example, to convert BTUs to joules, you would multiply the number of BTUs by 1055. To convert BTUs to calories, you would multiply by 251. To convert BTUs to kilowatt-hours, you would divide by 3412.

Are BTUs only used in the United States?

No, BTUs are commonly used in the United States, but they are also used in other countries such as Canada and the United Kingdom. However, some countries may use different units to measure energy and heat.

What are some common uses of BTUs?

BTUs are commonly used to measure the heating and cooling capacity of air conditioners, furnaces, and other HVAC systems. They are also used in the energy industry to measure the amount of heat energy produced by fuels such as natural gas and oil.