What will be the order of increasing radius?

In summary, The effective nuclear charge increases in the order of Ar < K+ < Ca2+ with the radius being the inverse of that. However, the answer is not A and further clarification is needed. It is important to consider if the noble gas and the Ca and K ions are treated as single atomic species or diatomic. For this question, it is not necessary to use the concept of effective nuclear charge and instead, the actual nuclear charge (atomic number) should be used. The higher the nuclear charge, the stronger the binding to electrons. In this case, the correct answer is C.
prakhargupta3301
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
upload_2018-7-11_22-42-9.png

My answer is A.
Because effective nuclear charge would increase in order Ar<K+<Ca2+ and radius would be inverse of that.
However, the answer isn't that. Can you just point me?
Also, can you tell me in this question, do we think of the noble gas and the Ca and K ions as single atomic species or diatomic? Because Ar doesn't exist in single form right? So will be compare metallic radius(for metal ions) and Vander Waal's radius(for noble gas) or ionic radius for all three?

Attachments

• upload_2018-7-11_22-42-9.png
    upload_2018-7-11_22-42-9.png
    27.2 KB · Views: 662
Physics news on Phys.org
You don't need any concept of effective nuclear charge here. Just use the actual nuclear charge (the atomic number). The higher the nuclear charge, the more tightly it will bind to electrons.

Likes prakhargupta3301
Khashishi said:
You don't need any concept of effective nuclear charge here. Just use the actual nuclear charge (the atomic number). The higher the nuclear charge, the more tightly it will bind to electrons.
So I think C?
Am I correct please tell me.

yes

1. What determines the order of increasing radius?

The order of increasing radius is determined by the number of energy levels and subshells in an atom. As the number of energy levels and subshells increases, so does the radius of the atom.

2. How do the elements in the periodic table follow the order of increasing radius?

The elements in the periodic table follow the order of increasing radius as you move from left to right across each period. This is because the number of energy levels and subshells increases as you move across the period.

3. Why do noble gases have larger radii than the elements next to them?

Noble gases have larger radii than the elements next to them because they have a full outer shell of electrons, which results in less effective nuclear charge and therefore a larger radius.

4. How does the radius of an atom change as you move down a group in the periodic table?

The radius of an atom increases as you move down a group in the periodic table. This is because the number of energy levels increases, leading to a larger atomic size.

5. Can the order of increasing radius be predicted for all elements?

Yes, the order of increasing radius can be predicted for all elements based on their position in the periodic table and their number of energy levels and subshells. However, there may be some exceptions due to factors such as electron repulsion and nuclear charge.