What would the angle φ be for this deflected laser beam?

In summary, the conversation discussed the deflection of a horizontal laser by a mirror at an angle θ and finding the angle φ when θ = 60°. The solution involved using geometry to identify the angles of incidence and reflection, and deriving the equation for their relationship. Snell's law of refraction was mentioned, but it was clarified that the question was about reflection. A diagram was suggested to visualize the problem and it was determined that the unknown angle is 30°. The thread was also noted as an old one, possibly implying that it should be closed.
aracali

Homework Statement

The mirror in the image below deflects a horizontal laser by angle θ. What is the angle φ if θ = 60°.
5.jpg

Homework Equations

θir

The Attempt at a Solution

So I know that, if I draw a line normal to the mirror, that will make it so that the incident angle and the reflected angle equal 60° (since 180-60=120 and the 2 angles have to be the same, so 120/2=60) but after that, I have no idea what to do. I know the angle is 30°, but how did they get that angle. Maybe I just need to reviw my geometry.

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw the normal to the mirror and identify the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection.
[Edit] ... also derive the equation rrlating the angles first, then plugbin the numbers

Take care with notation.

Last edited:
Yes, you'll get nowhere without your junior high geometry. Relationships expressed concisely as "co-interior angles are supplementary", or maybe use "alternate angles are equal".

We don’t need no stinkin’ normals. (See note below.) All we need is a suitable diagram…
diag.jpg

This immediately shows that θ = 2Φ.

I think I've told you too much. But can you explain why the marked angles in the diagram are equal to Φ?

Note.
To understand the opening sentence, you would need already to be familiar with the original reference. (Replace ‘normals’ by ‘badges’ and do a search, if you have nothing better to do!)

This is an ancient thread ... just pointing this out since the OP last logged in about a year ago.

Likes Steve4Physics
yes it has to do with reflection angles:
E=180
P vertical=90
and we have 60 degree
The unknown angle is = 180 - 90 - 60 = 30 degrees

jim mcnamara said:
This is an ancient thread ... just pointing this out since the OP last logged in about a year ago.
I would call it a zombie thread. 🧟‍♂️ Once revived, it acquires a strange life of its own. Only mentors possesses the awesome powers to kill it for good. Hint, hint.

Likes SammyS

1. What is the angle φ for a deflected laser beam?

The angle φ for a deflected laser beam is the angle at which the laser beam is bent or redirected from its original path. It is typically measured in degrees or radians.

2. How is the angle φ calculated for a deflected laser beam?

The angle φ for a deflected laser beam can be calculated using the law of reflection or the law of refraction, depending on the type of surface the laser beam is being deflected from. It can also be calculated using trigonometric functions.

3. What factors influence the angle φ for a deflected laser beam?

The angle φ for a deflected laser beam can be influenced by several factors, including the angle of incidence, the properties of the surface the beam is being deflected from, and the wavelength of the laser beam.

4. Can the angle φ for a deflected laser beam be controlled?

Yes, the angle φ for a deflected laser beam can be controlled by adjusting the angle of incidence, changing the properties of the surface the beam is being deflected from, or using optical elements such as lenses or mirrors to manipulate the beam's path.

5. Why is the angle φ for a deflected laser beam important?

The angle φ for a deflected laser beam is important because it determines where the beam will ultimately end up and how it will interact with its surroundings. This can have practical applications in fields such as optics, telecommunications, and laser technology.