What would I do to be able to recover the silver metal?

In summary, to recover silver metal from a solution of silver ions, you would need to add HNO3 to form a white precipitate. To dissolve the silver ions, you would need to add ammonia. The white precipitate formed would be written as a formula. It is possible to obtain solid silver through a displacement reaction by placing a more reactive metal into the solution, which will displace the silver.
extraordinarygirl
If I have a solution filed with silver ions. (Ag, dissolves in water) What would I do to be able to recover the silver metal?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you would have to add HNO3 and a white precipitate would form in order for you extract silver ions. Going reverse, to dissolve the silver ions, you would have to add more ammonia.

What would the white precipitate be? Beacuse I have to write it out in a formula.

Is it possible to obtain solid silver by carrying out a displacement reaction? Placing a piece of a more reactive metal into the solution will displace the silver...

1. How can I separate silver from other metals?

In order to separate silver from other metals, you can use a process called electrolysis. This involves passing an electric current through a solution containing the mixed metals, causing the silver to be deposited on one electrode while the other metals remain in solution.

2. What chemicals can I use to extract silver from ore?

The most common chemical used to extract silver from ore is cyanide. This chemical forms a complex with silver, allowing it to be easily separated from the other components of the ore. However, it is important to handle cyanide with caution as it is toxic.

3. How can I recover silver from old electronics?

To recover silver from old electronics, you can use a process called acid leaching. This involves dissolving the electronics in a strong acid, such as nitric acid, which will dissolve the silver. The silver can then be precipitated out of the solution using a reducing agent.

4. Can silver be extracted from scrap jewelry?

Yes, silver can be extracted from scrap jewelry using a process called smelting. This involves melting the jewelry in a furnace at high temperatures, which will cause the silver to separate from any other metals or materials in the jewelry.

5. Is it possible to recover silver from photographic film?

Yes, it is possible to recover silver from photographic film by using a chemical stripping agent. This agent will dissolve the silver in the film, allowing it to be separated and recovered. However, this process can be hazardous and should be done with caution.