What would the final charge on the rod be?

In summary, the conversation was about determining the final charge on a glass rod after it is touched by another insulator and the electrons are shared equally between them. It was mentioned that there are two objects sharing the total charge and that charge is a conserved quantity. The final charge was calculated by dividing the original charge by 2, resulting in a final charge of 2.7x10^8 C. The reason for this calculation was not fully understood, but it was mentioned that charge is one of seven conserved quantities.
pandamonium786
I had a question.

If a glass rod, with a charge of 5.4x108 C touched another insulator so that all of the excess electrons are shared equally. What would the final charge on the rod be?

I don't understand how to reach the answer of 2.7 x108 C.

Thanks in advance. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
How many objects are sharing the total charge?

Bystander said:
How many objects are sharing the total charge?

2 objects. The glass rod and the insulator.

Have you run into any conservation law regarding charge?

Bystander said:
Have you run into any conservation law regarding charge?

The way I got the answer just now is by making each rod have half the excess electrons. So dividing 5.4 by 2 to = 2.7 x 10^8 C final charge.
I got the answer but i don't know why i am right.

pandamonium786 said:
why i am right
Charge is a conserved quantity, one of seven such.

1. What is the final charge on the rod?

The final charge on the rod will depend on several factors, such as the material of the rod, the amount of charge initially placed on the rod, and the surrounding environment. It is not possible to give a specific answer without more information.

2. How can I calculate the final charge on the rod?

The final charge on the rod can be calculated using the equation Q = CV, where Q is the charge, C is the capacitance of the rod, and V is the potential difference applied to the rod. However, this calculation may not be accurate as it does not take into account external factors such as environmental conditions.

3. Will the final charge on the rod always be the same?

No, the final charge on the rod will not always be the same. As mentioned before, it is affected by various factors such as material, initial charge, and environment. Therefore, the final charge may vary in different situations.

4. Can the final charge on the rod be negative?

Yes, the final charge on the rod can be negative. If the rod has a negative initial charge and is placed in a positive environment, the final charge will be negative. Similarly, if the initial charge is positive and the environment is negative, the final charge will also be negative.

5. Why is it important to know the final charge on the rod?

Knowing the final charge on the rod is important for understanding the behavior of electric charges and their interactions. It can also help in practical applications such as designing electrical circuits and devices. Additionally, it is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism and is crucial for further studies in this field.