Calculating Efficiency in a Wheel and Axle System

In summary, the wheel and axle system requires more effort than the gravitational system to lift the same mass.
chikis
Hello folks, here is a problem: The effciency of a wheel and axle system is 80% and the ratio of radius of wheel of axle is 4:1. In other to lift a mass of 20 kg, the effort required is
A.60N
B.62.5N
C.32.5N
D.250N
E.50N
I started by bringing out the data in the question: Effiency, E.f=80%. Radius of bigger wheel, WR=4. Radius of axle of smaller circumfrence wr=1 since their are in the ratio 4:1. Mass lifted=20kg.
Using Velocity ratio, V.R= distance moved by effort/distance moved by load =circumfrence of bigger wheel of R/circumfrenc of axle of smaller radius r =2piR/2pir=R/r.
But in the absence of friction, V.R, R/r =mechanical advantage, M.A.
putting my data in equation:
R/r=load, L/effort, E=M.A. They only give the mass of the object lifted as 20kg. There is no instruction that acceleration due gravity, g which is 10ms-2 should be used. But knowing that load and effort has it units in Newton, N and that force, F=mass, m times g I decided to use it.
Thus: R/r= L/E
4/1=20*10/E
4E=200N
E=200/4=50N.
You can see clearly that the effort required is 50N which is option E. But the book gives the answer as B. i.e 62.5N.
.Can this be true? If it is true then how?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are forgetting about efficiency.

LawrenceC said:
You are forgetting about efficiency.

What is that suppose to mean?

chikis said:
What is that suppose to mean?

"The effciency of a wheel and axle system is 80%"

LawrenceC said:
"The effciency of a wheel and axle system is 80%"

That is how it is in the question.

So what does it mean? How does it affect your computation?

LawrenceC said:
So what does it mean? How does it affect your computation?

My computation as how?

Efficiency in this instance means that some force is lost due to friction. If you put in 100Newtons of force, you only get 80 Newtons of force at the wheel with a force ratio of 1:1. Think of how this enters your problem computations.

Last edited:
LawrenceC said:
Efficiency in this instance means that some force is lost due to friction. If you put in 100Newtons of force, you only get 80 Newtons of force at the wheel with a force ratio of 1:1. Think of how this enters your problem computations.

What are you saying exactly? Are you trying to modify the question that I just brought for discussion? Or are you try to do something else?

You do not sound serious about this problem. This is not a game so gind someone else to assist.

LawrenceC said:
You do not sound serious about this problem. This is not a game so gind someone else to assist.

Ehhee! Now I know your mind. You don't want to help. Probably you don't know what to say about the question or maybe you don't have any idea concerning the question.
If that is the case, you should have said so initialy or better still; never reply the thread in the first place. Well all the same, thank you for letting me know your mind.

chikis, drop the attitude. We are only trying to help here. If you don't make an effort, then we won't do anything.

micromass said:
chikis, drop the attitude. We are only trying to help here. If you don't make an effort, then we won't do anything.

It will be wrong for you to conclude that I did not make any effort. Go to my question and check, then you will see that I did show my work.

Your calculated value is correct if you assume there is no friction at all.

Since there apparently is friction, the system actually has to do more work to lift the object. Howmuch more work it has to do is given in the question, as you quote yourself in post #5.

Calias said:
Your calculated value is correct if you assume there is no friction at all.

Since there apparently is friction, the system actually has to do more work to lift the object. Howmuch more work it has to do is given in the question, as you quote yourself in post #5.

Thank you for your candid opinion.

1. What is a wheel and axle system?

A wheel and axle system is a simple machine consisting of two connected parts - a wheel and an axle. The wheel is a circular object with a central hole, while the axle is a cylindrical rod that passes through the hole in the wheel. This system is used to help reduce friction and make it easier to move objects by rolling them.

2. How does a wheel and axle system work?

The wheel and axle system works by reducing the amount of force needed to move an object. When a force is applied to the wheel, it rotates around the axle, which in turn moves the axle and the object attached to it. This allows for a smaller force to be applied over a longer distance, making it easier to move heavy objects.

3. What are some real-world examples of a wheel and axle system?

Some common examples of a wheel and axle system include car wheels, bicycle wheels, doorknobs, and the gears in a clock. Other examples include waterwheels, steering wheels, and even the pulley systems used in elevators.

4. What are the advantages of using a wheel and axle system?

The main advantage of a wheel and axle system is that it reduces the effort needed to move an object. It also helps to distribute the weight of the object evenly, making it easier to move or lift. Additionally, this system allows for smooth movement and can help to reduce friction between surfaces.

5. How does a wheel and axle system differ from other simple machines?

A wheel and axle system is unique because it is the only simple machine that involves rotational motion. Other simple machines, such as levers or pulleys, involve either linear or circular motion. The wheel and axle system is also one of the oldest and most widely used simple machines, dating back to ancient civilizations.