Calculating Wheel Torque for Vehicle Dynamometer Design

In summary, the conversation is about creating a formula to calculate the wheel torque needed for a vehicle based on variables such as speed, weight, % grade, and tire diameter. The goal is to use this information to determine the appropriate motor for a dynamometer that can simulate road conditions. The website mentioned is not relevant to this specific project, as the focus is on using 2 electric motors with Variable Frequency Drives to regulate torque. The desired formula would take into account the vehicle's mass, tire coefficient of friction, wheel radius, and % grade to determine the force needed to resist the motor's acceleration.
TestGuy2014
I am trying to come up with a formula to use with my labview program that will calculate wheel torque required to move a vehicle with some given variables. I have vehicle speed, vehicle weight, % grade or angle, tire diameter. I am trying to create a dynamometer that can determine proper motor selection based off these vehicle characterics. So if i put in a certain grade and speed, the motor will either accelerate through it or it will start back driving based off what torque my dynamometer is holding back the motor.

Thanks for any help!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
UltrafasPED:
- Thanks for the website, but I am not trying to create that type of dyno. I am running 2(100HP) electric motors into my differential. I am trying to replicate road conditions to spec. out a motor. The Varaiable Frequency Drives for the Motors can regulate speed or torque. I am trying to regulate torque based off road conditions. So by having the mass of the vehicle, tire coef. of friction, wheel rad, and % grad I am trying to come up with a formula that takes those varialbes and turnes it into a force that fights my motor as i am throttling up and down.

1. How is wheel torque calculated?

Wheel torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied to the wheel by the radius of the wheel.

2. What units are used to measure wheel torque?

Wheel torque is typically measured in Newton-meters (Nm) or foot-pounds (ft-lb).

3. What factors affect wheel torque?

The factors that affect wheel torque include the force applied to the wheel, the radius of the wheel, and the coefficient of friction between the wheel and the surface it is rolling on.

4. How does wheel torque relate to vehicle performance?

Wheel torque is a measure of the rotational force that the wheels can produce. It is an important factor in determining a vehicle's acceleration, pulling power, and towing capacity.

5. Can wheel torque be increased?

Yes, wheel torque can be increased by increasing the force applied to the wheel or by increasing the radius of the wheel. However, there may be limits based on the vehicle's engine power and transmission capabilities.