When a short-circuit exists, how to find the current?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the IN and determining the currents and voltage across resistances when the terminal a-b is short-circuited. The conclusion is that when terminal a is shorted to terminal b, the potential at Vx is zero, which results in zero current across the 2 ohm resistance. The expert also provides reasoning for this conclusion.
jangchen
Homework Statement
Find the Norton equivalent circuit of the circuit in Fig 4.45 at terminals a-b
Relevant Equations
When a short-circuit exists, current of other resistances with parallel is 0
4.12.JPG

I am not an English speaker, I apologize that I cannot use English well.

I have a question calculating the IN. When the terminal a-b is short-circuited, is it right that the currents are zero at 2 ohm and 6 ohm resistances?(Because they are parallel with a short-circuit.)

Also, because the current is zero at 2 ohm resistance, the Vx is zero. Is it right?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
I can't think of any counter-arguments, so: yes, I think so !

Likes jangchen
BvU said:
I can't think of any counter-arguments, so: yes, I think so !
Thank you for your answer!

jangchen said:
Also, because the current is zero at 2 ohm resistance, the Vx is zero. Is it right?
I would reason the other way around. If terminal a is shorted to terminal b then this forces the potentials at a and b to be equal. So ##V_x## is zero. It then follows that the current across the 2 ohm resistance is zero.

Likes jangchen
jbriggs444 said:
I would reason the other way around. If terminal a is shorted to terminal b then this forces the potentials at a and b to be equal. So ##V_x## is zero. It then follows that the current across the 2 ohm resistance is zero.
wow I understand it thank you!

Likes BvU

1. What is a short-circuit?

A short-circuit occurs when there is a low-resistance connection between two points in an electrical circuit, causing an excessive flow of current.

2. Why is it important to find the current in a short-circuit?

Knowing the current in a short-circuit is important because it can help determine the cause of the short-circuit and prevent damage to the circuit or potential hazards.

3. What tools are needed to find the current in a short-circuit?

To find the current in a short-circuit, you will need a multimeter, a clamp meter, or an ammeter. These tools can measure the flow of current in the circuit.

4. What are the steps to finding the current in a short-circuit?

The first step is to turn off the power to the circuit to avoid any accidents. Then, use the appropriate tool to measure the current at different points in the circuit to pinpoint the location of the short-circuit. Once the short-circuit is located, you can calculate the current using Ohm's Law (I = V/R).

5. Can I fix a short-circuit myself?

It is not recommended to fix a short-circuit yourself, especially if you are not familiar with electrical work. It is best to seek the help of a professional electrician to avoid any safety hazards and ensure the short-circuit is properly fixed.