When is Pascal's Principle applicable?

In summary, Pascal's principle states that a change in pressure applied to an enclosed incompressible fluid is transmitted undiminished to every portion of the fluid and to the walls of its container. This principle is not limited to incompressible fluids and can be applied to gases as well. It explains the pressure distribution in a fluid and is not just limited to explaining why objects float or the functioning of hydraulic lifts. It is important to clarify any misconceptions about this principle with your professor.
eprparadox

Homework Statement

Which of the following statements about Pascal’s principle is true?
A. It is valid only for incompressible fluids
B. It explains why light objects float
C. It explains why the pressure is greater at the bottom of a lake than at the surface
D. It is valid only for objects that are less dense than water
E. None of the above are true

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is suppose to be E. I thought it was A. I thought Pascal's principle was only applicable to incompressible fluids.

So if A isn't true, then is Pascal's principle true for gases? What are the limits of pascal's principle?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your most precise statement of Pascal’s principle?

I can understand how it is easy to think A is the answer. One practical application of Pascal's Principal is the hydraulic lift, which works best when the fluid is incompressible. But looking at the principal - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/pasc.html you can see that the pressure "transfer" has nothing to do with compressible

@Chestermiller here is my most precise definition:
A change in the pressure applied to an enclosed incompressible fluid is transmitted undiminished to every portion of the fluid and to the walls of its container.
(note that this was copied from the book and I know it includes incompressible in it. )

eprparadox said:
A change in the pressure applied to an enclosed incompressible fluid is transmitted undiminished to every portion of the fluid and to the walls of its container.
(note that this was copied from the book and I know it includes incompressible in it. )
This is not my understanding of Pascal's principle. For what it's worth, my understanding is that, at a given location in a fluid, the pressure acts equally in all directions (i.e., is isotropic).

eprparadox said:
it sounds like time to ask your professor about what the book says. this statement sounds like a special case (like how we can use incompressible fluids)

1. What is Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle, also known as the principle of transmission of fluid-pressure, states that when there is an increase in pressure at any point in a confined fluid, there is an equal increase at every other point in the container.

2. What is an example of Pascal's Principle in action?

A common example of Pascal's Principle is a hydraulic car lift. When a small force is applied to a small area, it creates a larger force on a larger area, allowing for heavy objects to be lifted with ease.

3. When is Pascal's Principle applicable?

Pascal's Principle is applicable in any confined fluid system, such as hydraulic systems, where the pressure applied at one point is transmitted equally to all other points in the system. It is also applicable to the behavior of gases.

4. How is Pascal's Principle related to Bernoulli's Principle?

Pascal's Principle and Bernoulli's Principle are both principles of fluid mechanics. While Pascal's Principle focuses on the transmission of pressure in a confined fluid, Bernoulli's Principle relates to the conservation of energy in a fluid flow.

5. What are the practical applications of Pascal's Principle?

Pascal's Principle has many practical applications, including hydraulic systems used in heavy machinery and vehicles, hydraulic lifts in car repair shops, and hydraulic brakes in cars. It is also used in medical devices such as blood pressure monitors and syringes.