Where did these members go?

• Thread starter inception7
  • Start date
When I used to lurk around this forum about 2 years ago, I was frequently seeing users by the name of:

- Chroot

- Cyrus

- a few others that I do not remember the name, but were fairly popular...

Which leads me to ask what is the typical lifespan* of a PF member?

*By lifepan I mean how many years did they typically stay on Physics Forums.

Last edited:

Pengwuino

Gold Member
Roughly 75 years, a bit higher for women.
lol - by lifepan I meant how many years did they typically stay on Physics Forums.

pf members are volatile in nature.

I signed on in the first month, I believe.

They come and they go.

They may have been kicked out from this forum.

And some may be back again with different names.

:rolleyes:

Borek

Mentor
Not that hard to check, just some searching and browsing. Yes, being a Mentor or Admin helps a bit, as we have access to better tools, but locating a profile of a member with thousands of posts if pretty easy https://www.physicsforums.com/memberlist.php [Broken].

Technically they are still with us: Cyrus and chroot.

My understanding is that Cyrus - after getting his PhD - invested his time into creating some kind of business enterprise and has no time to post, although he still occasionally lurks here. I believe he posted this kind of information somewhere, or at least it was easy to read between the lines. Chroot retired from Admin duties several weeks ago, but I see him lurking as well. After all, while PF is a great place to spend your time, it doesn't feed you, so no wonder people are investing their time in other, more lucrative things.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since PF is around for some while, are there any all-time favorites or very memorable members that no more lurk around?

I want to search some names and read there old posts. It's a bit sad that probably a lot of terrific posts are hidden and forgotten somewhere. (Which is, as far as I can tell the biggest weakness of such forums..)

So give us some names!

Pengwuino

Gold Member
My understanding is that Cyrus - after getting his PhD - invested his time into creating some kind of business enterprise and has no time to post, although he still occasionally lurks here.
I call BS. I think he's in jail :biggrin:

Evo

Mentor
Since PF is around for some while, are there any all-time favorites or very memorable members that no more lurk around?

I want to search some names and read there old posts. It's a bit sad that probably a lot of terrific posts are hidden and forgotten somewhere. (Which is, as far as I can tell the biggest weakness of such forums..)

So give us some names!
You can read GD Classics to find many great threads with contributions of former members.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=42220

G01

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Unfortunately, the real world interferes. Sometimes members, no matter how dedicated, have other priorities.

I didn't post at all during my first year in grad school. I know Pengwuino was away for a while way back when. Thankfully, we both found our way back. :)

Borek

Mentor
You can read GD Classics to find many great threads with contributions of former members.
Nothing beats tribdog's carpet adventure.

rhody

Gold Member

drizzle

Gold Member
Where's tribdog?