Where do you buy your chemicals from?

• Thread starter thankz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemicals
In summary, Dimethyl ether (also known as methyl ethyl ketone) is a solvent and industrial gas. It is also used as a fuel and a paint thinner. Dimethyl ether is not commonly available in stores, and can be expensive to purchase.
thankz
what should the price of this be?

Attachments

• Monday_02_March_2015 13_08_20snap.png
    Monday_02_March_2015 13_08_20snap.png
    110.1 KB · Views: 584
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Whatever people are willing to pay.

There are many suppliers, have you checked their prices?

well I bought it for $45 for 125grams then they raised the price to around $85 for 125grams, I feel like I'm getting ripped off. :H

I have had some diffculty finding places to buy chemicals as a person not affiliated with an institution. When I have found outlets that will sell chemicals, they invariably charge more. I have only bought pretty innocuous things: Zn and sodium hydroxide for making "silver/gold" pennies.

I am in the US.

Of course, it wasn't always like this. I had a pretty good chemistry set (Gilbert) when I was a boy, and you can read about Oliver Sacks buying a lump of sodium to throw into a pond when he was a boy in his memoir "Uncle Tungsten." All in all, I am probably happier that my 11 year old son cannot go and buy a lump of sodium from a store to play with.

Quantum Defect said:
I have had some diffculty finding places to buy chemicals as a person not affiliated with an institution. When I have found outlets that will sell chemicals, they invariably charge more. I have only bought pretty innocuous things: Zn and sodium hydroxide for making "silver/gold" pennies.

I am in the US.

Of course, it wasn't always like this. I had a pretty good chemistry set (Gilbert) when I was a boy, and you can read about Oliver Sacks buying a lump of sodium to throw into a pond when he was a boy in his memoir "Uncle Tungsten." All in all, I am probably happier that my 11 year old son cannot go and buy a lump of sodium from a store to play with.
Yeah, I still have my Gilbert chemistry set, and I think, a fair sampling of the reagents which were shipped with it. Pre-EPA, you could get away with a lot that you can't now. I think if the government could track down all these sets, everyone who had one would be sitting on a hazardous waste site at the least, if not a Superfund site.

Given the off-label uses for some of these chemicals, I can see why suppliers are not eager to sell to individuals, or charge high prices to discourage casual buyers.

The next time you have to undergo a background check to buy OTC cold remedies, thank a Meth head!

thankz said:
what should the price of this be?
"Should?" With or without the liability insurance for supplier, dealer, shipper, packaging, indestructible labelling? Finished product, common sodium salts? Pennies a pound for two nines. Three nines? Times ten. Uncommon anions? Times ten? Hundred bucks a pound.

can someone tell me where I can find an isomer of dimethyl ether cheap, I could start a chemical company and resell it for $100 a pound!

thankz said:
an isomer of dimethyl ether cheap,
Everclear goes for around ten bucks a pound. Not cheap, but half that is taxes.

I could even run my car on it :rolleyes:

1. Where do you typically purchase your chemicals from?

I usually purchase my chemicals from reliable suppliers that provide high quality products. Some examples of suppliers I have used in the past include Sigma Aldrich, Fisher Scientific, and VWR.

2. How do you ensure the chemicals you purchase are of good quality?

I always make sure to check the purity and specifications of the chemicals before purchasing. I also read reviews and ask for recommendations from other scientists or colleagues to ensure the reliability of the supplier.

3. Do you have a preferred method of purchasing chemicals?

I prefer to purchase chemicals online as it is convenient and allows for easy comparison of prices and specifications. However, I also occasionally purchase chemicals in person from local suppliers if I need them urgently.

4. Are there any specific precautions you take when purchasing volatile or hazardous chemicals?

Yes, I always make sure to check the safety data sheets for any potential hazards and follow proper safety protocols when handling and storing these chemicals. I also make sure to purchase from reputable suppliers that provide proper labeling and packaging.

5. How do you handle the disposal of chemicals after use?

I follow the proper disposal guidelines and regulations set by my institution or country. This usually involves labeling and storing the waste properly and arranging for safe disposal through a licensed company. I also try to minimize waste by only purchasing the amount of chemicals needed for my experiments.