Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do you buy your chemicals from?

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    what should the price of this be?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Whatever people are willing to pay.

There are many suppliers, have you checked their prices?

4. Mar 2, 2015 #3
    well I bought it for $45 for 125grams then they raised the price to around $85 for 125grams, I feel like I'm getting ripped off. :H

5. Mar 2, 2015 #4

Quantum Defect

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I have had some diffculty finding places to buy chemicals as a person not affiliated with an institution. When I have found outlets that will sell chemicals, they invariably charge more. I have only bought pretty innocuous things: Zn and sodium hydroxide for making "silver/gold" pennies.

I am in the US.

Of course, it wasn't always like this. I had a pretty good chemistry set (Gilbert) when I was a boy, and you can read about Oliver Sacks buying a lump of sodium to throw into a pond when he was a boy in his memoir "Uncle Tungsten." All in all, I am probably happier that my 11 year old son cannot go and buy a lump of sodium from a store to play with.

6. Mar 2, 2015 #5

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yeah, I still have my Gilbert chemistry set, and I think, a fair sampling of the reagents which were shipped with it. Pre-EPA, you could get away with a lot that you can't now. I think if the government could track down all these sets, everyone who had one would be sitting on a hazardous waste site at the least, if not a Superfund site.

Given the off-label uses for some of these chemicals, I can see why suppliers are not eager to sell to individuals, or charge high prices to discourage casual buyers.

The next time you have to undergo a background check to buy OTC cold remedies, thank a Meth head!

7. Mar 2, 2015 #6

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

"Should?" With or without the liability insurance for supplier, dealer, shipper, packaging, indestructible labelling? Finished product, common sodium salts? Pennies a pound for two nines. Three nines? Times ten. Uncommon anions? Times ten? Hundred bucks a pound.

8. Mar 2, 2015 #7
    can someone tell me where I can find an isomer of dimethyl ether cheap, I could start a chemical company and resell it for $100 a pound!

9. Mar 2, 2015 #8

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Everclear goes for around ten bucks a pound. Not cheap, but half that is taxes.

10. Mar 2, 2015 #9
    I could even run my car on it :rolleyes:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook