Where Does the Entropy Formula Come From in Thermodynamics?

In summary, The conversation discusses Maxwell's thermodynamic relations and the formula for entropy. The formula is dS = (bS/bT)_P(dT) + (bS/bP)_T(dP) where b is the partial differential symbol. The speaker is unsure of where this formula comes from and is looking for clarification. The other speaker explains that the formula is a general formula for differentiation and can be applied to any function with two variables. They also mention that any two independent variables can be used as dependent variables in the formula.
Master J
Hey guys.

Right, I have been studying the Maxwell thermodynaic relations. But I have come across entropy as

dS = (bS/bT)_P(dT) + (bS/bP)_T(dP)

where b is the partial differential symbol.

I don't understand where this comes from, which suggests S(T,P). I can't find a derivation of this.

Could you help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's nothing really to derive. Physically, I mean.
For any function of two variables, the general formula for differentiation looks like this.
I mean, for f(x,y)
df=(bf/bx)dx+(bf/by)dy.

As for why S(p,T), you can use any two independent variables as "dependent variables".

Related to Where Does the Entropy Formula Come From in Thermodynamics?

1. What is entropy in relation to thermodynamics?

Entropy is a thermodynamic property that measures the degree of disorder or randomness in a system. It is a measure of the amount of energy that is unavailable for work in a system.

2. What is the significance of Maxwell's relations in thermodynamics?

Maxwell's relations are a set of equations that relate the partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties. They are important in thermodynamics because they allow us to calculate one thermodynamic property from another, making it easier to analyze and understand complex systems.

3. How are Maxwell's relations derived?

Maxwell's relations are derived from the four fundamental thermodynamic equations: the first and second laws of thermodynamics, the definition of internal energy, and the definition of entropy. By combining these equations, we can obtain the relationships between different partial derivatives of thermodynamic properties.

4. Can Maxwell's relations be applied to all thermodynamic systems?

Yes, Maxwell's relations can be applied to all thermodynamic systems, as long as they are in equilibrium. This means that the system is in a stable state, with no net flow of energy or matter. Maxwell's relations are valid for both reversible and irreversible processes.

5. How can Maxwell's relations be used to simplify thermodynamic calculations?

Maxwell's relations can be used to simplify thermodynamic calculations by allowing us to relate different thermodynamic properties to each other. This means that we can use known values of one property to calculate the value of another property, rather than having to measure or calculate it directly. This can save time and effort in complex thermodynamic systems.